Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler suggestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:36 PM
bob_kikkert
Tourer
Default RE: Oil Cooler suggestions!!

Thanks iclick...you have been very helpful in this discussion...

Old 05-20-2008 | 07:49 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

The manual thermostat sort of works with a bypass so when your motor reaches operating temp it lets the oil flow through the cooler even when its off.I installed mine in summer so I havent tried in winter yet as a broken leg has stoped me from riding.Two more weeks and I will let you know how it works in winter downunder

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:25 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

Pm me your results hogbag07 if you think about it. I am interested to see what you find out.

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:05 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer

Do you know where a person could buy the fitting that go on the oil filter hook up with out buying the entire kit ?

gregorysfd@hotmail.com

Please email me if you have a source.

Thanks

Old 05-21-2008 | 12:57 PM
cfmii11
Road Master

Jagg 10 row w/ thermostat

Old 05-21-2008 | 01:43 PM
gregorysfd
Tourer

Thanks for the reply i'll try them

Old 05-21-2008 | 02:05 PM
Dr.Hess
Seasoned HDF Member

Lockhart with a thermostat built in, 600 I think. I had a Lockhart without the thermostat built in and an external thermostat before, but it was getting a bit old, chrome starting to flake, etc., so I went with a new one a couple years ago when I changed out my oil lines to Russell stainless braided. Just be sure that whichever one you get, you get the thermostat.

On the 883, I ran the oil through the engine guard with a thermostat below it. You can just make out the stainless braided line at the top of the guard running up the left downtube in this pic:

Old 05-21-2008 | 02:36 PM
tinker
Cruiser

I can go either way in my opinion of oil coolers. At speed they do bring your oil / engine temp down... but an engine that runs below the temp it was designed to run at could run into problems. Sitting still, the oil cooler looses much of it's effectiveness. Mostly you gain from having a larger oil capacity, which will decrease the overall engine temp. There is also a minor gain of the cooler adding some radiant cooling - but if you are stopped in traffic with no air passing through the cooler, then the gain is pretty minor.

Don't know if oil coolers come with it... but if you could install an electric fan (controlled by engine temp) by the cooler, it would probably help. Other than that I think the only gain is in regard to the added oil capacity.

Is it a good idea to get one? Depends. You could have some benefit, and if you ride in traffic a lot I'd say it's a good idea. If on the other hand you ride country roads or the interstate mostly and rarely get stuck in traffic... maybe not. It depends on your $$$$ versus percieved value to the bike.

Old 05-21-2008 | 03:38 PM
quigley
Tourer

Hey Tinker here you go........................
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=150249768948

Old 05-21-2008 | 05:24 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Dont need no thermostat. Benn using a cooler for 30 years, just had a cover made. If it's too cold put the cover on when it gets hot take the cover off. As long as you stay sober enough its foolproof!!!!!

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler suggestions!!