Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler suggestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 08:00 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Oil Cooler suggestions!!

On a stock bike you could probably get away w/o a cooler.Anything above that I would seriously consider one.A 20k plus/minus investment,a cooler is cheap insurance esp during HOT days or traffic.HD got some help from the outside because theseTC bikes ran too hot in stock clothing.

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:11 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: oldhippie

Is this one any better than the Jagg?

It looks like it'll cost $300 either way.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US
It's $233 + shipping from Zanotti's, and has the thermostat in the kit.

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:30 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: bob_kikkert

This may seem like a dumb question but if the Ultra really needs an oil cooler then why was it not equiped with one from the factory? If heat damaged the engine, wouldn't the warranty kick in?
Not a dumb question at all. I don't personally think the Ultra "needs" an oil cooler as an absolute. I think you're correct in your assumption that if it did, Harley would probably put one on the bike to begin with. However, I do think the bike will benefit from the added cooling capacity, especially if you regularly ride in heavy traffic and/or hot weather. Most conversations I've read here say that it doesn't make that big a difference in radiant heat but, IMO,it will help stabilize oil temps in adverse conditions, at least better than the bike would do without the oil cooler.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:18 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member

Well I have the older 10 row Jagg/Premium low mount cooler, and it seems to do well. I am considering getting rid of it for that vertical mounted one, as it hits the curb everytime I go up or off a sidewalk. I'd like to know if that vertical mount fits with lower fairings, or if you have to cut and modify the fairing to get it to clear.

Old 05-20-2008 | 05:20 AM
dt20
Tourer

i bought the jagg low mount oil cooler but bought the one without the automatic thermostat. however am getting the manual thermostat that way during winter months i can just by-pass the oil cooler all together. havent had a chance to mount it yet waiting for next oil change hope it cools the bike down some.

Old 05-20-2008 | 08:35 AM
bob_kikkert
Tourer

This is an interesting discussion that keeps generating questions in my mind With the Harley Oil Cooler on the Ultra, is there a problem in getting at the oil filter? Since I live in a cooler climate, would the oil cooler cause the oil to run too cool in colder weather?

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:05 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member

I like the manual instead of the thermostat. Living where i am it is hot most of the time and i don't think i will get to turn that valve much anyway. I am still looking at them but leaning towards the jag.

Old 05-20-2008 | 09:24 AM
glebo
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Army

ORIGINAL: Intrepid175

This may seem like a dumb question but if the Ultra really needs an oil cooler then why was it not equiped with one from the factory? If heat damaged the engine, wouldn't the warranty kick in?
Not a dumb question at all. I don't personally think the Ultra "needs" an oil cooler as an absolute. I think you're correct in your assumption that if it did, Harley would probably put one on the bike to begin with. However, I do think the bike will benefit from the added cooling capacity, especially if you regularly ride in heavy traffic and/or hot weather. Most conversations I've read here say that it doesn't make that big a difference in radiant heat but, IMO,it will help stabilize oil temps in adverse conditions, at least better than the bike would do without the oil cooler.

FWIW!
Ride Safe,
Steve R.
+1, Harley's been making v-twins since 1903, I think if they REALLY needed one, they'd put one on. Does it hurt....no, but is it necessary...no. JMO of course, and my 07 RK does fine without one here in the carolinas.

But, let me caveat, I don't do alot, actually none, of city driving, its mostly four lane roads and country two laners, so almost all the time I am moving. It will get warm at a stop light, but nothing that really fries me.

Old 05-20-2008 | 10:10 AM
old95
Road Captain

I went with the HD one, but that's just silly me

Old 05-20-2008 | 10:20 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

This is an interesting discussion that keeps generating questions in my mind With the Harley Oil Cooler on the Ultra, is there a problem in getting at the oil filter? Since I live in a cooler climate, would the oil cooler cause the oil to run too cool in colder weather?
The hoses add a bit of clutter to the filter area, but I've had no problems getting to the filter, removing, and re-installing it with a wrench that fits on the end of the filter. The HD Premium has a thermostat in the kit that keeps the cooler closed (mostly) until 185° is reached. I have seen no increase in warm-up time since installing the cooler.

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler suggestions!!