Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Cooler suggestions!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:11 AM
Merlin
Road Captain
Default RE: Oil Cooler suggestions!!

I put on the 62895-03A Super Premium Oil Cooler Kit Fits ’99-’06 Touring models a few years back.
What a difference! I had all kinds of overheating probems. Runs much cooler now. Overheating problems are gone!

I'd do it again in a hearbeat.

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:47 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Original: buzzard07
I'm wanting to putan oil cooler on my 07 EGC , does anyone have any opinions or suggestions for a decent one that will actually do a good job for me.I'm just wanting to make sure I can get the bike as cool as possible to avoid any troubles down the road.Thanks in advance for any help.

ORIGINAL: bob_kikkert
Since the Ultra is a new machine for me, I am curious about this oil cooler thing. Have some of you had engine problems in hot weather without an oil cooler? Is there a temperature where the bike starts to cause problems? My 08 will shut down one cyclinder when idling in very hot weather......is this new to the 08 and if not does it help?

We plan on riding Route 66 either next year or the year after and could encounter some hot weather. Would I be better off with an oil cooler?
My opinion is that all TC engines need an oil cooler, and they are standard on the CVO (SE) bikes. They will keep peak oil temperatures in line, at least in most cases, and will give you less variance between highs and lows. Yesterday I did a 250-mile ride with air temps going up to about 85° and oil temps stayed at about 195-200° while moving at a good clip. They rose to as high as 230° in some very slow going along the MS coast, and this is the highest oil temp I've seen since installing the cooler in late 2006. It hit 230° twice last summer in traffic and this seems to be the practical limit for this bike. I consider this to be acceptable since HD claims 230° is the normal operating temp for the 96" engine.

I have the HD Premium with thermostat, which has been excellent. A good alternative would be the Jagg 10-row, but be sure to buy the thermostat, as it is not standard with the cooler. The HD cooler has the t'stat in the kit. If you buy the HD model, heed the warnings you've already heard about the 7/16" Allen wrench, as it is required to install the t'stat filter adapter. A socket would be preferable since there is a torque value for this fitting. You can use a bolt with a 7/16" head and jam two nuts of any head size on the other end. Place the 7/16" head in the fitting and torque down with a ratchet from the nut side. Other than this, the cooler install procedure is very simple and quick. On an '07, don't pay any attention to the instructions where they say to re-route the VR wires, as this is not necessary and it fits without alteration.

Old 05-19-2008 | 10:47 AM
ironoxide
Road Captain

I put the HD unit on about 18 months ago. It does the job, I guess. No real issues to date. It didn't do anything for radiant engine heat. It's still a nut and leg roaster!!

Old 05-19-2008 | 11:11 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member

I've been using the Jagg Deluxe for 5+ years and am very satisfied with it. It's good for about a 30 degree (f) drop in oil temps.

Old 05-19-2008 | 06:49 PM
bob_kikkert
Tourer

This may seem like a dumb question but if the Ultra really needs an oil cooler then why was it not equiped with one from the factory? If heat damaged the engine, wouldn't the warranty kick in?

Old 05-19-2008 | 06:56 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

+1 jagg 6 row vertical, manual thermostat, 30 + demp drop

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:12 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

I've been looking at this one from Jagg , but it looks like a $300+ investment after you buy the adapter that it says it needs but doesn't come with.

http://www.jpcycles.com/productgroup...amp;brand=jagg

I guess I'll check out the HD one too.

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:26 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member

Been thinking about a cooler for my '06 Streeter and checked out the HD sooper dooper on my buddies '07 CVO Ultra. No thanks. He has a bitch of a time getting at his oil filter and changing it makes a hell of a mess. I'll go with a Jagg Deluxe Verticle.

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:31 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member

Is this one any better than the Jagg?

It looks like it'll cost $300 either way.

http://www.harley-davidson.com/gma/g...bmLocale=en_US

Old 05-19-2008 | 07:49 PM
fireglider
Road Captain

Just do it!!!

Quick Reply: Oil Cooler suggestions!!