Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:21 PM
JohnScrip
|
Road Warrior
Default Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

So, I'm about to install my THIRD left-side saddlebag support bracket in less than 5k miles...

These... 90718-79c (left, in my case) and 90720-79c (right, for ease of search)

It's on the left bag -- The one with rarely more than my gloves and a pair of glasses in it, low heat, etc., etc. Right on the bend at the bottom with the tab the two bolts go through.

What the hell is going on?!? Why are these things (that seem like really, really crappy metal for that matter) keep cracking on me? Does anyone else find themselves changing these things out? Any ideas to stop it from happening?

Why does it always happen the day before a big ride and no one has one in stock?!?

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:45 PM
Hoffy
Road Master
Default RE: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

Thats a new one to me. Never heard of those breaking. WTF? Now I have to watch those too? Sheeesh.

Old 05-17-2008 | 11:49 PM
JohnScrip
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

Heck, if it broke once, I could see it as a freak occurrence - Twice and it something freaky.

Three times? I have the last two - The one that broke yesterday and the one before. Found out my neighbor was handy with welding and tacked them back together for me while I'm waiting for another. I'll keep one of them in the bag, as now I *expect* it to break.

Old 05-18-2008 | 02:31 AM
LDrider
Cruiser

I can't tell from your sig pic, but I bet your not runnin' a rear bumper. It acts as a link between the two saddlebag/muffler brackets and withoutone you'll keep breakin' em. The baggers that don't come with a rear bumper have a hidden bracket fitted inside the fender to do the job.I think they're around 40 bucks.

Old 05-18-2008 | 08:55 AM
JohnScrip
|
Road Warrior

!!! I need to find more on this...

I Googled "Harley-Davidson Rear Bumper" and actually came up with a photo -- I can see how that could take a lot of the pressure off that bracket - At this point, I have a chrome doohickey with an extra brake/tail light on it that I don't exactly want to lose -- But if there's an inner-bracket of some sort that I don't have...

Anyone have a part number by any chance...?

Old 05-18-2008 | 09:07 AM
uweldit
Road Captain

+1, possible support bracket missing under rear fender or you may have a rear frame issue. Visually inspect or have the dealer inspect it.

There is not a great deal of load on this part and it should not break.

The only other thing I can think of is that you might be over-tightening the bracket mount or items that go on it.

Old 05-18-2008 | 09:16 AM
asuperheat
Road Master

Yea you need the bracket they use on the streetglide I know someone who just did this.

Old 05-18-2008 | 09:28 AM
firstimer
Intermediate

my rod king has both of them broken, theyer at the welder right now should have them back on monday, he says there junk metal, and the design should be changed. at 73.00 a pop they get expensive after a few of them.

Old 05-18-2008 | 02:24 PM
miacycles
Elite HDF Member

Make sure when you install any part on a HD (pipes, brackets, etc) that you have no stress on them or the vibrations will eventually break them. All bolt holes and flanges should line up and not put a pull on them. The big problems used to be oil and fuel tanks. Guys would put them on and not shim them and break off themounts all the time. Then it was exhausts you have to tighten everythig down evenly and lastly they must be suppor4ted, if you are missing your "bumper" they will flex and break.
Hope this helps.

Old 05-18-2008 | 02:33 PM
JohnScrip
|
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: LDrider

I can't tell from your sig pic, but I bet your not runnin' a rear bumper. It acts as a link between the two saddlebag/muffler brackets and without one you'll keep breakin' em. The baggers that don't come with a rear bumper have a hidden bracket fitted inside the fender to do the job. I think they're around 40 bucks.
ORIGINAL: asuperheat

Yea you need the bracket they use on the streetglide I know someone who just did this.
BRILLIANT!!!

3 different dealers never mentioned this...

I got the bike used, no bumper, no idea.

Just for fun, went to the dealer this morning to see if I couldn't order up one of these hidden brackets -- Not only did they have one in stock but they also had the replacement left side bracket.

I'll be in the garage for a while... Thanks, everybody!!!

Quick Reply: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...