Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011 | 11:44 PM
shakak
Cruiser

Thanks for the link 131tman eastern performance has quick delivery always been happy with them

Old 04-26-2011 | 10:01 AM
shakak
Cruiser

Useful info on the saddlebag bracket. I picked up a new bracket today and talked to the HD owner. He told me that they break because the rubber bumpers under the bags and on the muffler bracket tend to get dry and grab the rail causing stress on the bracket. Solution is to lube those rubber bumpers with a small amount of electrical grease so it allows for movement. Hope this helps Ride Safe!

Old 06-01-2012 | 06:06 AM
Winchester5050
Stage III

I've read this whole thread as I have the very same problem. My H-D is a 2003 Road King (FLHR) and I have both of the support brackets broken and welded. The part numbers are: 90718-79B and 90720-79B and I'd like to set things right once and for all. Do you know if these strengthen ebay brackets would work for my RK? If not, anyone knows who is the maker to try to find the ones that fit my ride?

Regarding the use of a Streetglide linkage, do you have the part number? will it fit my ride?

Thank you very much.

Old 06-01-2012 | 06:55 AM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp

Yep, happened to my 06RG. Got off the freeway and heard a metal dragging noise. Looked over and saw my exhaust hanging kinda low.

Took the bracket apart and took it to a welder who put it back together. A few days later it broke again. Took it back to the welder who added a backing piece to it in the weld. Two years later, still good. I have the FBI fat tire kit on my bike and it includes a rear fender brace that wraps around inside the rear fender just above the break point as you can see in the picture below.

This only happened when I was running a little over the 75 mph speed limit there in Arizona. Welllll, maybe a lotta over the speed limit.

I also put a piece of rubber in between the bracket and the bag support to assorb vibration.

Last edited by EasternSP; 06-01-2012 at 07:00 AM.
Old 06-01-2012 | 08:02 AM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

depending on year:
There should be a support bracket from the "two bolts" shown then behind the fender and then to the "two bolts" on other side..That creates a brace that makes it more difficult for that part to bend and fatigue..The saddlebags create leverage on the bottom support bar in that area. The saddle bags are held with the two pins/bolts on top but they also ride on a rail. That rail is supported on the front by one or two mount points and only one at rear...removal of top mounting point in front and then removal of rear cross brace lessons the support.

Old 06-01-2012 | 08:58 AM
jamesw
Road Warrior

You might also want to check this one as well; with both tabs broken it was adding a ton of stress on the bottom ones you are showing.

Old 06-04-2012 | 01:51 PM
Winchester5050
Stage III
Default Drag Specialties support brackets

I've finally located the maker of those support brackets, it is Drag Specialties. The only problem is that the OEM part number it is not the same of the one for my RK... In the Drag Specialties' catalog (page 63) says that it is for FLT and FLHT, mine is a FLHR so I suppose it won't fit.

Does any of you have any idea or knows any other system to get rid of this problem? Maybe other makers with a similar solution?

Thanks all.

Old 06-04-2012 | 01:59 PM
longrideshields-1
Premium Sponsor

Sounds like the extra bracket/bumper is the culprit huh?

General Inquiries:
Info@LongRideShields.com
Sales and Marketing:
Sales@LongRideShields.com
Phone:

Old 03-10-2013 | 07:45 PM
E8MSGTRET
Stage III

I just had my left side break on my left side and the bumper broke also. I have 50K on my 2005 Road Glide. Thanks everyone for all the info. I just found them on J&P cycles for 50.00 still have to find a new bumper.

Old 04-03-2016 | 08:03 PM
Solmo
Stage I
Default Support Bracket

Called HD and they said theirs is $82.00. Drag Specialties is $49.95. No brainer. Actually got one at a swap meet for $10.00 but it for the wrong side. Interesting just about everything I've seen and heard is on the left side.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...