Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2008 | 12:33 AM
JohnScrip
|
Road Warrior
Default RE: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

ORIGINAL: firstimer

my rod king has both of them broken, theyer at the welder right now should have them back on monday, he says there junk metal, and the design should be changed. at 73.00 a pop they get expensive after a few of them.
If you don't have the part (and again, for the search engine), it's 91140-98A -- Around $35. Took all of three minutes to attach to the bolt for the bumper (the lock-nut was still on the bolt!) and all seems well. It all makes sense now...

Agreed (as my neighbor with the welding tools also agrees) the thing is junk and worth about $2.75. But hopefully now, the new set will last.

Old 05-19-2008 | 06:20 AM
nujohn
Tourer
Default RE: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...

we live and learn good luck

Old 06-05-2008 | 03:43 PM
Exit45
Advanced

I just broke my left side also and I already had the Streetglide bracket since I removed my bumber. I never overload the bags but then again it did last 80,000 miles. I guess that's not so bad.

Old 06-05-2008 | 03:45 PM
vindyl
Road Master

Mine just broke and it was because i had removed the rear bumper you need that for support also

Old 06-05-2008 | 04:06 PM
RIDEIRISH
Tourer

My left one brock 2x, welded both times, the right I found a crack and got it welded before&nbsp\\;it comppletely took a crap on me...

Old 06-05-2008 | 04:19 PM
planewrench
Advanced

I noticed when I swapped out the rear fender on my RKC that the tabs you are talking about were not bent a full 90 degrees. When I reinstalled the brackets on the bike&nbsp\\;you could see that the two bolts that go through&nbsp\\;each tab were pulling the tab into alignment with the other parts. This puts a constant stress on the tabs. I removed the&nbsp\\;brackets and bent&nbsp\\;the tabs&nbsp\\;into alignment. Maybe this is part of your problem.

Old 06-05-2008 | 09:13 PM
Puzzled
Banned

I have the bracket underneath my fender connecting both sides and I have broken both side barckets. I tiged them back together and called it done. I have been keeping an eye on them.

Old 06-05-2008 | 10:03 PM
R1Geezrglide
Road Warrior

I've broken both sides in the last 2 months. I found that whoever made the custom fender left out the rear support bracket that goes between the two bag supports. I bought the SG support, notched the fender, installed the support, then made sure the exhaust and other attaching brackets were relieved of any pre-load. We'll see how long this lasts. The dealer said this was a common item....

Old 06-05-2008 | 11:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

The bracket used on the SG, which I used also when putting the SG facia on my EG, is PN 91140-04.&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
For those who have broken the chrome support brackets with the lower bracket on your bikes, did you cut-off or remove the upper chrome bracket that connects the fender strutsit's also used for the license plate mount on RK's and RG's, but is a plain chrome on SG'sjust curious since many guys cut-off the tube for a "cleaner" look and was wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Old 06-06-2008 | 12:07 AM
nastyHD
Road Captain

My left side also broke about 2 months ago&nbsp\\;[:@]...at least it was easy to fix.

Quick Reply: Saddlebag support brackets - BROKE-its, BREAK-its, but not BRACKets...