Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for Iron Butt Run...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 09:50 PM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Preparing for Iron Butt Run...

All the smarta$$es who say buy a Honda or ride around the block 1,000 times must not be up to the challenge themselves. My 01 Ultra had over 67,000 miles on it when I started my trip. A buddy and I made the SS1000 last August. We rode from Romulus, MI to Deal's Gap, NC and back. Rode the Dragon, bought a t-shirt and headed back. Awesome ride, lots of fun. We plan to do a BB1500 Gold this year. Lots of good suggestions on here already. Make sure your fluids are fresh and the bike is in good running order for the trip. Plan your route, stay hydrated. Power bars and other healthy snacks are a good idea. Avoid stopping for a big meal, even if you have time. A full belly will make you drowsy and less alert. Stretch your legs and pee at each gas stop. Lots of good info and all of the requirements to qualify your ride are on the IBA website. Good luck and have fun!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:02 PM
GzrGlide
Road Captain

Plan ahead as much as you can. Obviouly go over the bike and repair what has to be repaired and give yourself a day or two for a shakedown of the repairs.

When I did mine years ago, I learned its a mental game as much or more than a test of physical endurance. Before I left, I figured out where the mid point was and then told myself, that if I get to that point, there was no sense in turning around, since the way back was just as long as the way to the end.

Take lots of tunes. The book on an mp3 player is a great idea. What you don't want is to have to hear the same things over and over again. Subcinciously it acts as a reminder of how long you've been in the saddle.

Stay hydrated, stop for a light lunch at the half way point (you'll have time) and snack on energy bars and fruit as you go.

Walk around at the fuel stops to re-energize and don't panic over time. Again, you'll have time as the 1000 in 24 hrs is not difficult.

I had the hotel desk clerk act as my end-point witnes sand when I got the certificate in the mail I mailed him a copy with a note thanking him for his help.

Most of all. Enjoy the ride and the accomplishment. Not many people are willing to try it.

At the end, reward yourself with a night in a really nice hotel!

Old 05-18-2008, 11:43 PM
Slick02
Tourer

If you can, plan to ride west in the morning and east in the afternoon/evening along with what everyone else said.

Old 05-19-2008, 02:09 AM
lucky520
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seldyn1,

I was replying to the mile high guy comment about getting a honda. I thought it was a stupid thing to say. I was also saying that I got some good answers to my questions on riding a IBA by looking through that sight. Thats all. I have an ulta by the way.W

Old 05-19-2008, 07:24 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

I thought the sugesstion of going around the block a thousand times was great.....you'll probably enjoy the scenery about the same. I have 45,000 on my Fatboy and 30,000 on my Ultra......most of the miles were enjoying the day and the ride....don't like being in a rush...

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/C6B8AC33F7B34EECAD7D97DF3BD74E74.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-19-2008, 07:31 AM
Bluzmn59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good advice in here. I did the 1000 last year and two things I did that helped were getting an early start (left at 4:30 am) and routed my trip to make the afternoon and evening more scenic and interesting. I went from Augusta, GA to Birmingham, AL to Nashville, TN to Asheville, NC to Columbiam, SC to home. The afternoon ride through eastern TN and western NC was awesome and really got me going again.

Planning on doing the 1500 in 36 hours this year.

Old 05-19-2008, 07:51 AM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sheepskin for your seat

Old 05-19-2008, 08:25 AM
Olde Skool
Road Captain

Never tried this, but want to before they put a tag on my toe...Prolly a real good idea to head West in the morning and East in the afternoon to avoid the sun in the eyes stress. Also like the idea of getting the night or dark riding done in the morning while you are fresh. Good luck to you!

Old 05-19-2008, 08:44 AM
92FLHS
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

As far as hydration goes I invested in a CamelBak. Here is one source for purchasing one of many styles or just go to camelbak.com for other choices.

http://www.altrec.com/camelbak/

enjoy the ride!

Old 05-19-2008, 12:21 PM
ZPA
Advanced

I was wondering how long it would take for some uptight person to comment on that one! Lighten up man.
ORIGINAL: rocknrod

ORIGINAL: mile high king
Get a Honda.
Why would this newbe post this?

Quick Reply: Preparing for Iron Butt Run...