Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Preparing for Iron Butt Run...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 05:33 PM
dcc46
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Preparing for Iron Butt Run...

good luck with it, i'm thinking of doing the saddlesore 1k next week. gonna ride from ny to fox creek leather and back. gives me an excuse to buy a new jacket .

Old 05-18-2008, 05:36 PM
cripula
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't done one but I'd like to give it a shot eventually. My longest day so far has been just over 800 miles. A full face helmet made a huge difference in how I felt - much less fatigued and more comfortable by the end of the day than I would have been in any open face. Nice to just pop the shield down all the way if it starts raining or gets cold.
Gotta have good earplugs too.

Old 05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Plan your ride so if you will be going through large towns/cities it will not be in morning or afternoon hours. Every fuel stop walk around a bit. I use lemon water instead of water. The lemon will help you retain water. Take your time-you have plenty to do only 1,000 miles. Keep all you fuel recipts and towns as where you get them. Record everything.
Enjoy your ride.none stop oly requires 41.6 mph so you have plenty of time. Average speed of 60 mph gives you 8 hours for breaks, fuel, and eat breaks.
The saddle sore really is easy and you don't need a honda unless of course thats what you ride.
Enjoy yourself, you get to see a lot in 1 day.
It really is easy
take care
jim

Old 05-18-2008, 08:00 PM
seldyn1
Tourer

Thanks guys... great advise and encouragement. I'll let you know how it goes...

Old 05-18-2008, 08:19 PM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have a great ride and take lots of pictures

Old 05-18-2008, 08:43 PM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain

Take a couple extra days off work and actually enjoy a bit of the scenery...still don't get the iron butt thing.....

Old 05-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 26 Posts

John, not trying to discourage, if that's what you want to do, go for it.
I just got back from Myrtle Beach with my SG. It's 680 miles from my house, did it in 15 1/2 hours just stopping for gas and dinner. I have a Mustang Solo with an Alaska sheepskin, the butt was no problem at all. I also have Khrome Werks sweeper bars with 2 inch pullback, my neck was cramped from the reach and my throttle hand was hurting. Mainly, I was mentally exhausted.
For me, it's something that I never want to do again although I'm glad I had the experience. On the way home we did the run in two days.
I'm not trying to rain on your parade, keep in mind I'm 61 years old and the body ain't what it used to be. The other rider with me (on a RG) is in his 40's and had no difficulty.
Good luck and stay hydrated.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:02 PM
Coffee
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Prep, prep, prep. Once the ride starts, it is too late to start over better prepared.
Work up to it slowly. Build up your endurance, and make sure the ride is ready for long rides.
Even with all the good advice here, this isn't something you will want to just jump in to.

Good luck.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Rick S
Tourer
Received 80 Likes on 44 Posts

I left at 3:20 am and got home at 8:40pm. It is all about time management. When you stop get gas, drink something and maybe a quick snack. Make sure you have all recipts and also record mileage and location of gas stops. If I remember corretly you have to account for all stops over 30 minutes in length. Prior to going get out a road atlas and plan your route, also use googlemaps to figure out gas stops according to your bikes range.Hop on a interstate and go. Try to pick a route that you do not have large towns to go thru. I used I-40 due to the higer speed limits in NM and the fact that all traffic runs at least 5 over-usually closer to 10 over. No speed demon stunts just a nice pace as if you have a "road side counseling session" with the state police it kills your time!

As noted above I left Altus, OK at 3:20am rode to OKC and then west on I-40 to Moriority NM ate a quick lunch at McDonalds (cool salad) , turned around and rode back to Amarillo TX for a set down meal and then home by 8:40pm. Oh, and helped a lost woman who missed the turn for I-25 in Alberqueque to go to Denver--she was almost to Amarillo and in tears! I also timed my ride to be as close to the longest day of the year so that I had max daylight. I only rode about 2 and half hours in true darkness. Good luck.

Old 05-18-2008, 09:38 PM
DragonsBreath
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Coffee
Prep, prep, prep. Once the ride starts, it is too late to start over better prepared.
Actually if at any time you feel you can not finish for what ever reason you can bail and do the ride another day. This is the reason the IBA does not make you get your ride pre-approved.

My first Saddle Sore was a straight 500+ miles out and back home. Left at 3:30 am and was done in under 17 hours. Getting the night riding done first was a plus for me. I didn't think of it as a 1000 mile ride but a bunch of 250 mile runs. I planned out each 250 mile leg as it's own little ride.

I'm register to do another one this year that is being hosted by a local H-D dealer. They have the route and receipt stops planned and are going to be the start and end witness. We will be doing a loop around Lake Erie and Ontario. The nice thing about this group event is there will be other people out there doing the same ride/route.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: Preparing for Iron Butt Run...