Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lyndall Z pads good/bad brakes

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 04:02 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Lyndall Z pads good/bad brakes

There's no break-in with the Lyndells. I honestly don't know what's going on with your rear brake now grabbing and the fronts needing more pressure than before especially with them both being the same brake pads. My experience with Lyndells when I installed them on my '07 Fat Boy was completely positive. I don't have a solution for you, but I hope you get to the bottom of it.

Old 05-17-2008, 04:09 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear really doesn't grab, it just has a better coefficient of friction and the front a lot less. Has anyone used scotch bright to scuff up a rotor?

Old 05-17-2008, 04:57 PM
bucs012
Road Master

I would call Lyndall and ask. The are very nice. On my cars I "Bed in the brakes" via this way. On a bike I would try that same but be careful with the front brake!
http://www.zeckhausen.com/bedding_in_brakes.htm

Try it. It can't hurt.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:58 PM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

You have something wrong,both of my RK's have Lyndalls and they are the best.You will get used to the stopping power once things are working together.It's a reassuring feeling having the capacity to lock up the wheels at will.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:02 PM
russl179
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Lyndall's in front and back. I am totally 100% satisfied.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:19 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

my best guess is the rotors are worn and the new lyndall pads are not making full contact with the rotor,with that many miles, the stock pads wore the disc, look to see if their is a odd wear pattern.i have gold pads on mine and they work great, wont use any other pad on it any longer

Old 05-17-2008, 08:18 PM
vibr8ir
Cruiser

In the directions they tell you to remove the old pads then to clean the caliper pistons w/ brake cleaner. The pistons foul up w/ dust and grime and don't fully travel
The pistons sometimes **** a little so cleaning REALLY helps. The top & bottom pistons travel at slightly different pressures. My brake line fitting is low on the caliper so the lowest piston will travel 1st w/ the top piston slightly laging. If they were designed better the pistons would have different size bores,so they would travel evenly. Clean em. up use a small brush (tooth) around pistons, make sure pistons run square,move freely, reistall pins you've cleaned up w/ a scoch pad/ steel wool. I don't grease em. but some do. Lyndall pads are the only pads I'll use.... the rear brakes will lock up with any pad you use so stay off it ,, you'll use the front more when you clean it up. The front brake is 70/80% of your stopping power. I'm not sure if the Z-pads work w/ the polished rotors either you'll need to check.. Steve

Old 05-17-2008, 08:30 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Well I have the opposite problem on my 02 RKC. I replaced my old pads with Zpads last week and now I lock up the front brake while practicing emergency braking. I never locked up with the old pads even with pull pressure. I now find myself a little scared to give a lot of brake. I might go back to the old pads.

Beary

Old 05-17-2008, 09:10 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

Thanks for all the info, I'll dismantle the brakes and clean the caliper pistons and pins. BigJohn, I'll put a straight edge or indicator on the rotors and check to see if they are worn, causing the brakes to not seat properly. I never thought about them being worn out of flat, but as you said 24 k miles, they should be. Thanks again all

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 PM
bigjohn1percenter
Tourer

anyone here familure with Pascal's Law ???????????? read up on it then try to tell me the pistons move at a different rate due to pressure at the piston, the pads where they make contact first, not due to uneven pressure at the pistons

Quick Reply: Lyndall Z pads good/bad brakes