Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Roadking or streetglide decisions-decisions

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 06:12 AM
rick
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Roadking or streetglide decisions-decisions

I may be trading in my fatboy for either a roadking or street glide.Could use a little help withriders experience.I was all set for the SG but always liked the RK as well.Versatility wise i believe the RK may win out but not sure.The windshield vs fairing is something i dont know about when comes down to wind buffing/shearing.The bike is for around town as well as some longer rides w/ the significant other in going up state.If it matters i'm 6'1" 205 lbs.could use the help.thanks

Old 05-17-2008, 07:20 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts
Default RE: Roadking or streetglide decisions-decisions

I bought the RK and love it. The only issue I ran into this past week was winds so strong and I couldn't keep the windshield on the rental RK (had to bend the quick release pins around the screw). That experience alone, would make me ride both before making a final decision. I still like the looks of the RK classic, but the extra protection of the SG in bad weather is worth considering.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:23 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 63 Posts

Only rode a RK a few times, but the Stree Glide is a great all around ride. Never had a fairing untill the SG, don't think I would go without it now. Jrsess

Old 05-17-2008, 07:25 AM
winston chopper
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok, I have an EG and Im going to chime in. My last bike had a small windsheild and that helped for high speed wind. This Eg is almost unaffected by wind , its amazing. Im 6' 195 32" inseam and its pretty comfortable.The only drawback is the12 " winsheild and you look through it always , so forget about drivin in the rain at all.I think you can get smaller ones.I wouldnt want to be taking my bike apart all the time , thats why I have 2bikes. With all the money spent on extras to make a RK, RG or SGan EG why not just buy an EG? Get a sportster for around town for 6k or if you can run with the big boys something better. Some of the RK's ive seen on here are AWESOME! Dont get me wrong , Im not tryin to bash, just my 2 cents. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:30 AM
bikergeoff
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go for the SG, you'll love having a radio on your scoot!

Old 05-17-2008, 07:32 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I love the RK standard (with hard bags) and was really on the fence before I bought my SG. I'm really happy with my decision. You pay a little more, but you get more too.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:40 AM
big_al
Elite HDF Member

I went from a fat boy to a Street Glide, love the radio as i used to ride with my ipod on the fat boy all the time. Love the fairing I ride around 80mph all the time while on the highway and it is so smooth. Love the hard bags and the streamline looks of it. Have ridden an 03 road king a friend owned and it was ok but before I buy a road king I would had kept my fat boy as you can add a detachable windshield and leather saddlebags minus all the vibrationand have a similar looking bike.

Old 05-17-2008, 07:47 AM
sportyrider1
Road Captain

Currently riding a RK andhave made some long trips 2 up including 1 that was 12 hours in the rain with out much problems. that said I just added a aftermarket batwing (firebaggers/Tsukayu) and not sure if I would ever run again with out it. it will depend on after it gets hot here in Ga. I know once you add the aftermarket fairing you are into a little more money than buying the streetglide straight up but I do have the ability to ride with a full fairing or a windshield or nothing in less than three minutes.

Old 05-17-2008, 08:31 AM
rkride
Cruiser

I recently bought a road king and I love how it rides and handles. Riding around town is also a dream, exspecially when I take the windshield off and show off the classic harley look. On long trips, doing 70 - 80 mphs is not a problem withthe windshield. One thing I like about the rk is the ability to reconfigure it in a matter of minutes to either be a long range touringor a run aroundtown machine.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:05 AM
harry.b
Tourer

I have an EGC and the fairing is almost too much in the summer. I see your from florida.The egc isperfect for winter here in south texas. If I had gobs of dough Iwould trade for a RK and puta batwing on during the winter.Just my thoughts. Ride well

Quick Reply: Roadking or streetglide decisions-decisions