Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rapid turn flash: Just starting: Why

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:48 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rapid turn flash: Just starting: Why

Ok, here is one for you electrical gurus. I have Radiantz LED’s front & rear on my EG 06 and started haveing the problem with the turn signals starting to blink fast after the third normal time flash. All the lights are working. The turn signal module that I have had plugged into the harness is the Harley part # 91699-99A and does not state that is has a load equalizer in it. So why just start happening now after a year and a half???

Old 05-16-2008, 06:40 PM
Gart
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: rapid turn flash: Just starting: Why

When this happens, are both the front and rear bulbs flashing? I had a similar situation (no led's) and the rear bulb wasn't flashing, just the front. It ended up being a wiring harness connector, under the seat, that wasn't making a good connection. Bike was 3 years old at the time.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:12 PM
NCCopBikeRider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Quixk Flash, bulb out

Old 05-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good question, what happens when you put standard filiment bulbs back in place of all the LED's??

And if it returns back to normal flashing then you may need to install the electronic flasher, Radiantz sells one and most likely recommends it!

The Universal Flasherz is designed to replace the standard 2 and 3 prong flashers.A flasher thatis fully solid state and not load dependent.

http://radiantz.com/cart/index.html?c15.html&1

Old 05-16-2008, 07:33 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

Well… Just doubled check Gart and all 4 turn lights are working. I have been told that when that happens it is Harley’s way of saying there’s a bulb out. Like NCCopBikeRider say, it usually means a bulb out. But here’s where it gets strange. I went out to double check and NO rapid flash!!! It’s flashing normally now.[sm=WTFsgign.gif] I let each side flash 15 times and it’s good to go… Figure that one out. I think I need to check the connections. [sm=confused06.gif]

Old 05-16-2008, 07:43 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

I actually hada load equlizerfrom General Dynamics that converted both turn lights into turn and brake lights. My bike would just glow at night and that was before I would apply the brake. My issue is that I have had these better than a year and I think this may have happened once before but not sure, as I had a guy tell me he seen the turn flash fast.
Its just strange. Not sure where to start.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:59 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Won't hurt to clean all the bulb contacts with a mild scotch brite, and the same for the bulb sockets and thencoat well with a silicone based contact grease! Clean the lenzes and put a very slight coating of clear silicone RTV on mating surfaces to help repel water.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:36 PM
NoTyme
Cruiser

I think that would be a good idea. I did consider checking the sockets to see if they may have some movement in them but a cleaning and application of dialectic grease is a good idea. I did my front fender lens withsome silicone sealant beclaue it had a small anount of movement while it is snaped into place. Sealing the turn lens would be a good idea too... Thanks

Old 05-16-2008, 09:56 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

If your blinkers get screwed up on an '06, here's the reset proceedure.

Grab a handful of brake, turn on ignition, turn on left signal and let flash 4 times, turn off. Do the same with the right signal and then the 4 way flashers. When finished turn off ignition and release the brake. Wait 2 min. and start the bike.

My signals get screwed up every time I hook up or unhook the trailer, and the above resets the flasher.

One thing: Erratic flashing catches more attention than even flashing....it's not necessarily a bad thing.

Old 05-16-2008, 10:00 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife's bike did that as well. I ended up finding out that the ground wire for the turn signals in the harness had come unplugged. A simple push the connector back togther fixed her issue.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: rapid turn flash: Just starting: Why