Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much, Not enough, Wind.

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008 | 11:04 AM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser
Default How much, Not enough, Wind.

Ok. This has been an ongoing discussion with some of us guys lately. The Ultra has the lower fairings. Thay have come out with a new spoiler for soft tails. Then theres wind deflectors for the rider . Just how much wind does a engine have to have to keep cool ? I roda my friends Ultra and almost no wind comes across the engine or back jug. On ny bike, I have wind deflectors to keep the wind blowing up. Another friend bought that new spoiler for the front of His soft tail. So how much wind is needed to keep a Harley engine cool at highway speeds ?????

Old 05-16-2008 | 12:56 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Default RE: How much, Not enough, Wind.

Depends on how much heat it is being exposed to. I live in north Alabama and use my lower fairings from Oct. to May or june and then the rest of the times no lower fairing. I have read many different things on this subject. My beleif is if am hot so is the engine. Not only does it help cool the engine but it helps cool me.
just my thoughts, what ever it is worth

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:09 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

On the same subject:

I have the chrome wind deflectors that mount on the forks. When it started warming up I removed them because I believe it blocks a bit of the wind from my downtube mounted Jagg oil cooler.

After riding a bit without them I realized how much I had gotten used to them (great reduction in turbulence behind my windshield) so I put them back on.

Best I can figure, on an 80 degree day, at highway speeds, it made about a 5 degree difference in my oil temp. That is ok with me...instead of the oil being at 197 it was at 202.

Now, if it is 100+ degrees out and I am two up, pulling a trailer and the oil temp starts creeping above 220, I will pull them off again and see how much it helps.

Old 05-16-2008 | 01:21 PM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mississippi Bagger

On the same subject:

I have the chrome wind deflectors that mount on the forks. When it started warming up I removed them because I believe it blocks a bit of the wind from my downtube mounted Jagg oil cooler.

After riding a bit without them I realized how much I had gotten used to them (great reduction in turbulence behind my windshield) so I put them back on.

Best I can figure, on an 80 degree day, at highway speeds, it made about a 5 degree difference in my oil temp. That is ok with me...instead of the oil being at 197 it was at 202.

Now, if it is 100+ degrees out and I am two up, pulling a trailer and the oil temp starts creeping above 220, I will pull them off again and see how much it helps.
What kind of oil cooler do you have and did you do comparisons with and without ? 197 seems really good.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:33 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: TakeNoCrap
What kind of oil cooler do you have and did you do comparisons with and without ? 197 seems really good.

[/quote]

I have the Deluxe Oil Cooler from Jagg

http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg%20file...ges/deluxe.htm

I am using a thermostat from Summit Racing

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

and the S&S Billet filter bracket for the oil lines.

When two up and pulling the trailer I have not gone over 210 in stop and go traffic up a long steep incline...ambient temp 75.

Prior to the oil cooler being installed I saw it as high as 247 on the same long steep incline when the ambient temp was only 55 degrees.

Slab cruising at 70-75 mph in 75 degree weather, two up, pulling about 350 lbs trailer, with oil cooler runs about 205 degrees. Without the oil cooler I have seen it as high as 230 degrees.

Old 05-16-2008 | 02:56 PM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mississippi Bagger

ORIGINAL: TakeNoCrap
I have the Deluxe Oil Cooler from Jagg

http://www.setrabusa.com/jagg%20file...ges/deluxe.htm

I am using a thermostat from Summit Racing

http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

and the S&S Billet filter bracket for the oil lines.

When two up and pulling the trailer I have not gone over 210 in stop and go traffic up a long steep incline...ambient temp 75.

Prior to the oil cooler being installed I saw it as high as 247 on the same long steep incline when the ambient temp was only 55 degrees.

Slab cruising at 70-75 mph in 75 degree weather, two up, pulling about 350 lbs trailer, with oil cooler runs about 205 degrees. Without the oil cooler I have seen it as high as 230 degrees.

[/quote]
Wheres your oil cooler installed ? Pics would be great. Man those numbers sounds great. Its enough for me to try one. I live in florida and it gets HOT here.

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:03 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Leaving for a ride right now.

Will try and take some pics and post them tonite.

Old 05-16-2008 | 03:12 PM
winston chopper
Tourer

Yea , lets see that oil cooler. I think Im getting enough air across my engine, but when it gets over 90Deg. we will see. The 08 has lowervents so i am not planning on taking mine off .
Headed out also to see if my chopper has hit the lift yet. Maybe I will get it back together before winter!

Old 05-16-2008 | 04:46 PM
TakeNoCrap
|
Cruiser

When it gets 80 ????? Dam it stays 80 here. lol
Say hello to Florida. lol

Old 05-17-2008 | 08:13 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

Here's a pic of the Oil Cooler.

Quick Reply: How much, Not enough, Wind.