Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If "true duals" are so great......

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM
peppi
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: If "true duals" are so great......

ORIGINAL: xcelr8

So then, the question remains........why does Harley go to the extra expense of the crossover pipe?

Just wondering......nothing more.
Exhaust scavenging.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:02 AM
timbakersr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love this forum, you guys most of you realy know your stuff. Now I can talk and understand more intellegently about these issue's to others. Thanks.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:09 AM
hardballer
Novice

XTROOPER beat me to the V8 response. In the car world crossovers give the best overall performance. I do like the look of true duals though.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:39 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's not so much a matter of the exhuast pipe length as it is the exhaust pipe's internal volume. The internal volume need to be within certain measurements specific to the engine it's attached to.Volumeof course can beincreased by length but also from diameter. Notice the 2 -1 pipesgenerally have a larger diameter. Problem is at some point an exhaust pipe beings to look stupid if it's too fat. Look at that god forsaken thing on the Yamaha Road Warrior.[:'(]

Old 05-16-2008, 07:45 AM
SG 1
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the look and sound of tru duals. I can't tell the difference in power either way.

Old 05-16-2008, 07:47 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

ORIGINAL: steveh326

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

Its not back pressure. Its called exhaust scavenging effect. The longer the exhaust pipe, the less scavenging occurs, thus on touring bikes a cross over is designed into the system to improve scavenging. Scavenging is when when the exhaust gasses are not only pushed out out by the up stroke but also sucked out from the exhaust pipe end, which allows more fresh atomized fuel to enter the combustion chamber, which leads to more downward pressure on the piston during ignition. Without a cross over there is a lower volume of atomized fuel that can enter the combustion chamber, which is why true duals loose some low end torque.
it's my understanding also that the other part of scavenging on a 2-1 orcrossover pipe is the exhaust pulse from one cylinder creates a vacuum effect in the pipe to help pull/scavenge the exhaust gas from the other cylinder. your comment about longer pipes being less efficient makes sense, as the exhaust flow would lose velocity over distance, making itless effective.

I love the performance aspect of 2-1 pipes, but I will eventually be going with true duals cause I like the cleaner look.
A lot of what you're saying is correct, but it gets a little more complicated. There is an optimum pipe length, but I'm not going to look it up right now. The biggest detriment to scavenge is reverberation. That's actually the pressure wave caused by the exhaust pulse exiting the pipe (you know, that sound we all like). It travels back up the pipe & interfeers with the low pressure zone at the exhaust valve (scavenge). It's also the reason for stepped headers (each step interfeers with the reverb pulse). Two to one exhaust systems, or cross over systems, use the exhaust pulse from the next cylinder to both aid the exhaust velocity & diminish reverb.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:38 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

Its not back pressure. Its called exhaust scavenging effect. The longer the exhaust pipe, the less scavenging occurs, thus on touring bikes a cross over is designed into the system to improve scavenging. Scavenging is when when the exhaust gasses are not only pushed out out by the up stroke but also sucked out from the exhaust pipe end, which allows more fresh atomized fuel to enter the combustion chamber, which leads to more downward pressure on the piston during ignition. Without a cross over there is a lower volume of atomized fuel that can enter the combustion chamber, which is why true duals loose some low end torque.
This is the right answer, and the OP posed the right question of why HD would use a x-over on all models when they added expense. No "true-dual" system will perform as well as one with a x-over, all other factors being equal. Those who show more HP/TQ over stock are likely making other changes, like EFI controllers, AC, etc. at the same time. The best system for performance is a 2-into-1, but Fuel Moto has a custom baffle setup for Rush mufflers that achieve the same effect with asymetrical baffle sizes and a reversion cone inserted in the left side. These are used on stock head pipes, which amount to 2-into-1 performance for a much lower price.

Old 05-16-2008, 08:43 AM
wah45
Advanced

I have true duals because I like the look and sound. Can't get into it with performance because never tried the stock pipes. I really don't know many friends that left the stock exhaust on. HD dealers really makes some extra bucks by selling or installing new ones. Most people on the forum have changed pipes $$$. It's like why do you pay $20K plus and not have a windshield trim??? $$$[/align]

Old 05-16-2008, 08:46 AM
irishviking
Cruiser

I would not trade my Rinehart 2 into 1 for any true dual system. The torque in 2nd & 3rd gear at 4000-500 RPM's is incredible. I have to lean forward and hold on, I love it.

Old 05-16-2008, 09:03 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 25 Posts

True duals are much easier to tune, and to some of us it has to be that way.Love the sound of true duals!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: If "true duals" are so great......