Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If "true duals" are so great......

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 12:52 AM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: If "true duals" are so great......

I don't know if they are "So Great", and much as there is so great of a demand for them. The demand being looks, and less heat on the right side. This translates to more heat on the left side too. For the past five years Ihave a been a True Duals guy. I've had Rineharts, Hooker, and the Torres Concepts Conversion Kit with both FullSac mufflers, and D&D Police Interceptor slip ons. I even had a set of D&D FatCats in there for about a week.

With my mild build the True Duals made the bike much louder. So much so that in my "old age" I wanted a little less noise. So I just went back to the OEM "Y" Pipe and the FullSacs to give the bike a more OEM look, and hopefully draw less attention to myself. The bike is quieter, or should I say more muffled. The FullSacs are straight through free flowing mufflers, so I know there is less restriction, the only difference in sound being that the "Y" pipe makes it quieter. Ifthere is a loss or gain of HP or TQ, I can't feel it.

The heat is a bit more noticable, but with a better flowing build and good fuel management from Zippers, it's not anywhere as bad as it could be. So I'll run this configuration for a while.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:04 AM
SeaHag
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The best reason to get rid of the stock "Y" pipe is because they SUCK, SUCK, SUCK to remove and replace for the do it yourself mechanics like me. If you're paying some HD mech to do it for you, keep em.

BTW: over on HTT a few years back I read some posts where a dyno tuner was getting 4-6 more horse out of the stock Y pipe setup [with quality slipons] by removing the metal pipe section that protrudes into the front header run. I had swapped my ProPipe onto my roadglide and needed to put the stock Y pipe configuration back on my FLHT recently so I took a sawzall with a metal blade and cut out a wedge of the protrusion...then used my dremel tool with grinding stone to taper the edges back into the Y pipe. I don't know how much of a difference its going to make on a dyno, but swapping back from the ProPipe to that setup didn't seem to hurt the performance of my FLHT at all that I can tell...That bike just screams up to 95mph.

Old 05-16-2008, 02:16 AM
DZLDR
Road Warrior

Smitty, I'm glad this is just your opinion

there's ONE reason Irun true duals:
it's because ILIKE THEM
oh goody, now I can type I Got True Duals
ORIGINAL: smitty901

No reason what so ever to put true duals on except looks and so you can type I got true duals.
Your Hd will run best even with Loads of other mods without true duals.
Few hours of reading between the lines for those with issues will make it all clear.

Old 05-16-2008, 03:36 AM
jcbpa
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...C/DSC_0042.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g.../fullflhrc.jpg
http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/g...ogsonflhrc.jpg

I like the balanced look, but I did not like the sound or the performance. Bub7 TD (stepped header) with TD fixed it.

Old 05-16-2008, 05:54 AM
zubaugh
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

Its not back pressure. Its called exhaust scavenging effect. The longer the exhaust pipe, the less scavenging occurs, thus on touring bikes a cross over is designed into the system to improve scavenging. Scavenging is when when the exhaust gasses are not only pushed out out by the up stroke but also sucked out from the exhaust pipe end, which allows more fresh atomized fuel to enter the combustion chamber, which leads to more downward pressure on the piston during ignition. Without a cross over there is a lower volume of atomized fuel that can enter the combustion chamber, which is why true duals loose some low end torque.
Right on! I agree. Those with true dual claim performance but 2-1 is superior due to the scavenging. I have a Ghost pipe for the Dual exhaust looks and a 2-1 for perfomance!

Old 05-16-2008, 06:28 AM
steveh326
Road Warrior
Received 143 Likes on 61 Posts

ORIGINAL: Hoffy

Its not back pressure. Its called exhaust scavenging effect. The longer the exhaust pipe, the less scavenging occurs, thus on touring bikes a cross over is designed into the system to improve scavenging. Scavenging is when when the exhaust gasses are not only pushed out out by the up stroke but also sucked out from the exhaust pipe end, which allows more fresh atomized fuel to enter the combustion chamber, which leads to more downward pressure on the piston during ignition. Without a cross over there is a lower volume of atomized fuel that can enter the combustion chamber, which is why true duals loose some low end torque.
it's my understanding also that the other part of scavenging on a 2-1 orcrossover pipe is the exhaust pulse from one cylinder creates a vacuum effect in the pipe to help pull/scavenge the exhaust gas from the other cylinder. your comment about longer pipes being less efficient makes sense, as the exhaust flow would lose velocity over distance, making itless effective.

I love the performance aspect of 2-1 pipes, but I will eventually be going with true duals cause I like the cleaner look.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:30 AM
gwcrim
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SeaHag

BTW: over on HTT a few years back I read some posts where a dyno tuner was getting 4-6 more horse out of the stock Y pipe setup [with quality slipons] by removing the metal pipe section that protrudes into the front header run. I had swapped my ProPipe onto my roadglide and needed to put the stock Y pipe configuration back on my FLHT recently so I took a sawzall with a metal blade and cut out a wedge of the protrusion...then used my dremel tool with grinding stone to taper the edges back into the Y pipe. I don't know how much of a difference its going to make on a dyno, but swapping back from the ProPipe to that setup didn't seem to hurt the performance of my FLHT at all that I can tell...That bike just screams up to 95mph.
Back around 2000, Harley must have changed the vendor for their Sportster pipes. The cross over began protruding into the exhaust pipe by a large amount. It probalby blocked 30% of the pipe! I'd say that would show up on a dyno. I haven't looked at the pipes on my Ultra yet, but I've often wondered if the situation was as bad. If you can clean that kind of mess out, there's some cheap HP to me made.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
martin1
Cruiser

The true duals will gain some top end power. But all of the tests I have seen show that they are down on torque below about 4k rpms. The area under the curve, or average, is better with the stock setup. Most of your riding is done below 4k rpms so I dont care what a set of pipes makes above it. There will be individual bikes that are the exception but for the most part true duals hurt your bottom end. power.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:46 AM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I know I'm talking apples vs oranges here, but making power from V8 engines is what I'm experienced with. If you want to get the most power and best performance out of a V8, you need a crossover pipe. I'm not talking about peak/spike power here, but usable, "best performance results" power. H-pipes work, X-pipes work better. A real world example of this is fact that every NASCAR race car has an x-pipe incorporated in its exhaust system. With a V8, the crossover pipe balances the exhaust pulses and scavenging of the two banks of cylinders.

Old 05-16-2008, 06:49 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The prize goes to Hoffy. A cross over pipe aids exhaust scavenge which creates a low pressure zone in the cylinder during the overlap timing on the transition from exhaust to intake stroke, allowing better cylinder fill. Better fill means a larger volume of fuel/air, & a more powerful power stroke.

Quick Reply: If "true duals" are so great......