Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic or Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 11:20 AM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Classic or Ultra?

Didn't want to hijack BrownDog's thread about riding Ultras so I'll ask my own question.

I guess I'm not the only one in this boat. Didn't realize just how common it is to move from <insert bike name here> directly to an Ultra. Seems like Road King-to-Ultra is a really common move.

I'm currently considering this also.

Bought an '06 Road King last year and I love it. During the past week, my wife has gone from vowing to "never get on that dangerous contraption." to "I think I'd like a ride - but just around the neighborhood." to "This is great! But we need a radio, and my backrest is too low and my a$$ kinda hurts after a while". At first I thought, great, I'll get a fairing, taller backrest, and swap the seat for something more comfortable. But then after spending that kind of dough, I'd end up with a half-a$$ed electraglide. For about the same money, I could trade up/over to an EGC/Ultra.

I'd thought about a EGC/Ultra since very shortly after getting the RK. Maybe now it's time to pull the trigger.

Doubt I'll buy new, so whatever the best used deal is, I'll probably go with that. However:
Electraglide Classic or Ultra, what say you? They seem very similar to me- just a few bolt-on differences. Is there one must-have characteristic about either one that should sway my decision?

Sorry for the long-winded question and thanks in advance for your input.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:33 AM
2003flhtci
Tourer
Default RE: Classic or Ultra?

Go for the Ultra. Hey, it's the top of the line...you're worth it. Besides, you mentioned she wants some sounds...the Ultra comes with rear speakers and her own controls, if I'm not mistaken.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:36 AM
coloradosteve
Cruiser

I went through the EGC/Ultra decision just recently. In the end I went with the Ultra. Why? Several reasons.

1. I liked having the intercom system pre-installed
2. I liked having Cruise Control for long trips
3. Rear Pod speakers already in place.
4. Truck insert
5. lower Fairings (which I didn't really want and have taken off, but have kept around just in case i'd like to throw them back on later.)

In the end, the basic differences were all things that I would have chosen to get installed anyway, and i found on the used market, the price differences were much less than having to buy these options and add them on.

The used market is flush with bikes right now in Colorado, so if you can wait, there will be the exact bike you want.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Lroberts4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ultra has 80watt vs 40 watt stereo, 4 speakers vs 2, intercom system intergrated (separate volume controls when using headsets) vs no itercom, CB radio integrated into sound system vs no CB, Cruise control standard vs wired for optional cruise, vented lower farings (07 and up) vs no lowers. Motor, tranny = same, frame = same, seat = same. IMHO if the Ultra is within your budget I would go that route, cheaper than trying to add on the extras. Either way wife should be happy with the ride.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:42 AM
capt_caveman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is not a lot of difference ... lowers, rear speakers, intercomm/CB, rear tour pak lights, cruise control etc. Since your looking at used, it will probably depend on what is available. I opted for the Classic but if the right deal on an Ultra had presented itself, I would have gone for it. The only thing I'm seriously considering adding at this point is the cruise but I'm still undecided.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:47 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master

I moved up from a Honda Davidson (the Shadow version ofthe Road King) to the '06 EG Classic. When I win the lottery I will move up to a brand new Ultra. But that short answer didn't answer your long winded question, so thank you for enough information to help us long winded people answer your long winded question with a long winded answer. Line four and I still haven't said anything important.

The first three things I bought to "upgrade" were front fairing deflectors (Freedom Wings), soft lowers and a cruise control. I got a good deal on the cc and installed it myself. If I don't win the lottery by fall Iplan on added vented lowers. For me, maybe not you, I saved money by only bolting on what I needed. Plus, limited funds and oportunities, I got what I wanted.

You say momma's got bit by the bug? Spend the extra money and say "For you honey". When I researched used bikes the '06 came out the winner with a lighter clutch pull, upgraded alternator and better speakers. There are still a few low milage '06 Ultra's out there. For the extra money you and honey get the rear speaker (since she mentioned a radio) and com system so you can stay connected and she feels like you are on the trip together. I'm sure you'll get other advice form folks here who love their Ultra's.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:05 PM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I was toying with that choice all winter. I knew I wanted one or the other in the spring and really thought I would get a Classic. In my situation, I knew I was going to buy a used 2007 - just couldn't get behind buying new.
When I started looking, it seemed to me that there are alot more used Ultras than Classics so I ended up with the Ultra. Just alot more to choose from.

Old 05-15-2008, 12:12 PM
jakedog
Road Warrior

Ultra, you will want the extras later, so go for the gold now........... Ask me how I know.....

JD

Old 05-15-2008, 12:14 PM
jmeyer58
Road Captain
Received 87 Likes on 56 Posts

A wise man once told me, "Buy what you want, in one year you will regret if you skiped something, but if you buy theUltra, in one year you will have forgotten about the extra cost"

Old 05-15-2008, 12:29 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer

ORIGINAL: MyFirstHD

I moved up from a Honda Davidson (the Shadow version ofthe Road King) to the '06 EG Classic. When I win the lottery I will move up to a brand new Ultra. But that short answer didn't answer your long winded question, so thank you for enough information to help us long winded people answer your long winded question with a long winded answer. Line four and I still haven't said anything important.

The first three things I bought to "upgrade" were front fairing deflectors (Freedom Wings), soft lowers and a cruise control. I got a good deal on the cc and installed it myself. If I don't win the lottery by fall Iplan on added vented lowers. For me, maybe not you, I saved money by only bolting on what I needed. Plus, limited funds and oportunities, I got what I wanted.

You say momma's got bit by the bug? Spend the extra money and say "For you honey". When I researched used bikes the '06 came out the winner with a lighter clutch pull, upgraded alternator and better speakers. There are still a few low milage '06 Ultra's out there. For the extra money you and honey get the rear speaker (since she mentioned a radio) and com system so you can stay connected and she feels like you are on the trip together. I'm sure you'll get other advice form folks here who love their Ultra's.
MyFirstHD: You made me spit coffee with that first paragraph. Which reminds me, I have unchecked Powerball tix in my wallet!
You and I have similar minds - except my dog's a Bullmastiff.
Thanks for the good input.

Quick Reply: Classic or Ultra?