Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Classic or Ultra?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 12:34 PM
fotoflojoe
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Classic or Ultra?

Thanks to everyone for the great advice - I agree with the "Go all the way now, and you won't regret it later" sentiments.

I knew the Ultra had rear speakers, but I didn't know it had rear controls. Sad as this sounds, that may just be the deciding factor. Like MyFirstHD implied: Gotta keep momma happy.

Thanks again

Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
fxdwg_rugby
Road Master

If momma aint happy, nobody is happy...
Never argue with a woman, even when you win you loose!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:14 PM
jackja25
Road Captain

You never know what will happen. My first HD was about two years ago. I was looking at a dynaglide, my wife told me get what you want not going to spend anything else on it. She kept on looking and trying talk me into ones with large tires and large seats. I told her she had to be kidding? She told me if you want me to ever ride with you, it will be on something with a larger seat. I broke down and bought a used 03 Ultra Classic. It was a great bike, after the first month my wife fell in love with riding, and she could not get enough. Then last summer walking through a dealership she saw a anniversary ultra and stated thats what we are going to get. Did I have a smile on my face or what? This is all history, bottom line is "Make momma happy and you never know what will fall into your lap!"

Old 05-15-2008, 01:16 PM
AISTQM
Tourer
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I traded a RK for the Classic. I didn't care about the lowers or the CB. I t was easy to make the tour pak detachable for solo riding and I added cruise and still saved some money. No regrets

Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

You won't ever second guess yourself if you go with an Ultra. I have been very happy with my 07, as has my wife. I have never even used the intercom or the CB radio and don't really plan to, as rider/passenger communications is really easy as long as you stay with moderately quite, or loud, pipes. The fairing lowers are great in the winter and the cruise is always great.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Cruise control
tour pak brake/turn lights
rear speakers
intercom
fairing lowers
luggage liners
CB

If half or more of those are important to you, get an Ultra. If not, get the classic. It WILL cost more to add them all to the Classic after the fact. If you want one or two, but not the rest, you need to crunch the numbers, but if you add one or two of the more expensive choices to the Classic, you will be so close to the Ultra price tag that I would just get the Ultra.

Also consider, the paint is done slightly different on the 2-tone paint jobs. I personally prefer the way its done on the Classic, but I dunno if that alone would make me choose it.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:29 PM
FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

These are the basic differences and the reasons I picked the Classic

Cruise control.............................It is nice but you can add it for under $300 if you really think you need it.
tour pak brake/turn lights............Prefer the cleaner look of the tour pack on the Classic
rear speakers.............................Up for debate, My sound system sounds just fine
intercom.....................................Dont really care
fairing lowers..............................Prefer to use soft lowers can be taken off and put on out on the road when you have those huge temp swings.
luggage liners.............................Dont really care
CB.............................................Wou ld never use it

Plus I like the decal on the tank of the Classic vs the big badge on the Ultra

Old 05-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Road Head
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I ended up with the Classic, because I was buying used and it was a good deal. Having said that, I see some advantages to having the Classic for me.

The primary one for me is detach tour pak. My bike was already outfitted with it and since it doesn't have the rear speakers and additional wiring it was easier to convert. I ride most all the time with out the tour pak. I love the way the bike looks. I'm also not a fan of the lower leg fairings. My buddy with an 07 Ultra said they can get kinda of hot, but are great in the winter. I have leather gaiters on my crash bars for cold and they work well. I usually ride alone so conferencing isn't a big deal, however a CB might be nice. Had a bike with cruise before and never used it, so for me the Classic works.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:47 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser

For me it was very easy. I wanted the crimson red sunglo, and it only comes in the Classic as a solid color.
Now I believe you said you are gonna buy used. Well in that case your gonna want to consider a 3/4 or full face helmet so you can do the cb thing or talk to your pass.
The more powerful radio and rear spkrs. is well ... at high speeds with the wind you know. Plus I just want to hear something it doesn't have to be in my ear.
The lower fairing well... it seems in warm weather everyone removes them.
Cruise can be added to any Classic and I must have cruise over anything.
That's about it they both ride the same and you would maybe save a buck or two on the classic.
How's that!

Old 05-15-2008, 01:57 PM
old95
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you plan on riding "two" up go with the ultra, if ride alone, go with the classic, ya don't need those heavy rear speakers, & the CB is a waste also.

Quick Reply: Classic or Ultra?