Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any solo tour pack as backrest

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:24 AM
mhud
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any solo tour pack as backrest

I'd like to hear from those who have tried this how comfortable you found it compared to a normal riders backrest. Also, did it make it much more difficult getting on and off? I like the looks of this and the idea of the weighted pack being over the rear wheel. What do you guys think?

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/5C67C6BA25F44EC29D8CD85CFAC90F35.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/43876/BD43D2609E444CC9A429792857E1449D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 08:52 AM
52edub
Tourer
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default RE: Any solo tour pack as backrest

I am using the Corbin Streamliner Trunk with HD's solo rack. Works for me and because my bike is black, I was able to order the trunk painted. They also make a Fleetliner Trunk which is bigger. Both come with the backrest pad already installed. I added more padding to mine as it didn't support me enough. It was a piece of cake as you just unbolt the backrest and pull the staples. By just adding an inch more of padding I was still able to restaple the cover and it was perfect support for me. I also like the chopped tour pak, but it doesn't hold as much and I was looking for something different. There is a world of difference in handling with the trunk over the rear wheel versus hanging over it.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:58 AM
Lincolnhog
Tourer

My Mrs just put corbin solo and a chopped pack with relocation kit on her RG
and loves it....Will post pics ASAP

Old 05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Getting on and off the bike isn't any more difficult since I step over the seat from the high side, rather than swing my leg.

I don't ride with a rider backrest, and the King TP's backrest is just far enough back that I don't feel it unless I lean or sit back slightlymore than my normal riding position. For someone accustomed to a rider backrest, it will feel different because the TP's backrest is higher than the rider backrest.

Having the TP on the solo rack retains more of the feel that the bike has with the solo seat and no TP than riding with the TP on a two-up rack, but only when swinging the bike--highway riding there is no noticeable difference IMO.

Old 05-15-2008, 03:51 PM
mhud
Road Captain

Thanks for the info guys!

Old 05-15-2008, 05:08 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

ORIGINAL: mhud

I'd like to hear from those who have tried this how comfortable you found it compared to a normal riders backrest. Also, did it make it much more difficult getting on and off? I like the looks of this and the idea of the weighted pack being over the rear wheel. What do you guys think?
I bought and installed the TP backrest and tried it for about five minutes, at which time I realized it would not work. The problem is that the support is too high, and you back's lumbar region tends to flex, which a backrest is supposed to alleviate. When the backrest is in the two-up position it works fine since the passenger is seated higher, and the support positioned properly.

I then discovered my Mustang backrest had insufficient clearance from the TP, so I had to modify the solo rack to move the TP back about 1¼". I wrote it up here:

https://www.hdforums.com/m_1118659/tm.htm

It has been an excellent arrangement for my style of riding.