Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ultras bulky to ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2008, 08:38 AM
UltraHog
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ultras bulky to ride?

I came from a smaller bike and find the Ultra well balanced and a treat to ride.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:43 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The RK and the Ultra use the same frame, etc... don't they? If so, I wouldn't think cosmetic things, like the faring, tourpak, etc. would make that much difference.

I test rode a RK and own an Ultra. I don't remember any difference.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:49 AM
drrandall1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 on renting one. I traded my Fat Boy in for my SG. I ride my SG like I did my Fat Boy

Old 05-15-2008, 09:38 AM
fembiker
Advanced

I'm a 130 lb woman and just traded my Deluxe for and 08 Ultra, I have 800+ miles through twisties and freeway and I think the Ultra handles better in the twisties and of course smoother at high speeds. It also handles well at slow speed but I have to make sure the handlebars are square when I stop b/c I know that there is no way I can keep an 800+ bike upright if it starts to lean! I was really nervous about taking this step but I don't regret or miss my Deluxe at all. Our plans to ride 1300+ miles to Sturgis this year prompted me to take the plunge for the Ultra--I can't wait for the trip and I'm planning to put as many miles as I can on it before we go to get fully comfortable.

I have ridden a RK a few times and they are nice but if you want real comfort, Ultra is the way to go!

Old 05-15-2008, 09:39 AM
milo8155
Cruiser

The bikes are virtually the same...height and weight. The only things as stated in a earlier threadare the lowers, are confining to me ( but not all )! But, can be removed....You'll grow to love the fairing and gauges,radio etc...bags, and tour pack....

milo8155
07 FLHX
03 FXST
Collierville,TN

Old 05-15-2008, 09:48 AM
rivercityslim
Road Master
Received 46 Likes on 22 Posts

My last bike before my 89 Ultra was an 83 Gold Wing that I rode for 7 years. So I was already used to the weight of a dresser, and after many years of riding open bikes, I've come to depend on having bags and a fairing. Both bikes were in my garage for a short while, and at a glance bear a great resemblance. Once you're riding, though, they feel completely different -- I found the Ultra to be a much better handling bike with a lower center of gravity that makes it feel much more nimble. And after replacing the stock Dunlops with Continental Milestones, it handles even better.

I take issue with those who question riding an Ultra 'around town'. These same people don't think twice about climbing into their giant SUVs to go to the drugstore.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:50 AM
rkcrwlr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dcountryboy

I also went from a Road King to the Ultra and thought the same as you,but it isnt the case .As others have stated here they are surprisingly balanced and handle quiet well.The biggest difference was in the seating.It seems my legs are more (under me ) for lack of a better phrase but other than that a lot more comfort without the gawky handeling you think you will get.
+1 on this. I love my RK, but after riding the EG, it will be my next tourer.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:58 AM
OregonRoadKing
Tourer

I've had a Road King and now have an Ultra. I loved the Road King. The Ultra does feel a little more top heavy but handles a little quicker it seems than the Road King amazingly enough. When stopping it does feel a little more "bulky," but when moving handles very easily. I like all the features and am glad that I went with the Ultra. You get used to whatever you ride. On the road, the fairing and lowers make it way more comfortable than the Road King in rain and cold as I ride year around.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:21 PM
CherryHog
Road Master
Location: west of the west side of Indy, many miles from nowhere

I find I can throw my Ultra around almost as easily as my old Beemer, which is 200 lbs lighter.

Old 05-15-2008, 06:06 PM
racklefratz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BROWNDOG
are they bulkier to handle than the Road Kings and how much?
Answer would be that a UC would be "bulkier to handle" by however more loaded you make it than a "Road King".

UCs are surprisingly agile and easy to maneuver, even at low speeds. OTOH, it's a bike designed to be loaded for travel, and, not surprisingly, the more weight you place on a machine, the heavier it gets (duhhh).

Quick Reply: Ultras bulky to ride?