Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rush baffles - any tips on how to change???

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rush baffles - any tips on how to change???

I have the Rush 15301 slip-ons and want to change from 2.00" to 2.50" baffles to get just a little more bark from my 05 Ultra.

Anybody out there in HDF land have experience doing this???

Rush says just to remove the screw underneath - it has gotta be tougher than that!!!

What is the best way to pull those suckers out - any kinda special hooking/pulling tool??? WD40 or liquid wrench??? Take the slipons off and push from the other side???

After 3000 miles, I'm guessing they'll be seated pretty tight and I'm looking for some expert advice to make it as quick and easy as possible.

THANKS KINDLY in advance for your help.

Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 PM
Rodent
Road Master
Default RE: Rush baffles - any tips on how to change???

Believe it or not, my mechanic uses a slide hammer with a hook on the end of it to pull baffles out. Works good too.

Old 02-24-2006, 07:20 AM
SanJo
Advanced

I just changed out my Rush baffles this past weekend before taking it to get dynoed and sert installed. No, it won't be as easy as just removing the bolt. I had about a thousand miles on mine when I did it. I used W-D40 and a t-handle tool I had that has a hook on the end of it. I set it inside on the lip of the hole where the bolt was removed and after letting the W-D40 sit for a few minutes I pushed forward on the bike while pulling back on the T-handle/baffle. Let me tell ya, it was no picnic before they finally came out [:@] I had the wifey sit on the bike during all of this so it didn't accidently tip over from all the jerking. then I sprayed a light coating inside the pipe and around the metal outter edges of the new baffles and "tapped" them in and out a few times until the bolt holes were finally lined up. I'm sure there are better ways of doing it, but it got the job done. When your finished, start the bike up and let it idle a few minutes to burn off the residue in the pipes.

Old 03-02-2006, 08:46 PM
dchoran
Road Warrior

THANKS for all the tips guys!!!

I found a great little "slide hammer and puller set" Pittsburgh Model 5469 from Harbor Freight Tools for $18.

2# slide and a ~18" shaft.

14 pieces with lots of hook combos for pulling baffles like this. Good fit, good quality, good buy.

I'll let you know how it works next month.

Dave H. Appleton, WI