Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TANK CONSOLE REMOVAL

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 02:00 PM
GITRCustomed
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TANK CONSOLE REMOVAL

I have a 2004 RKC and I am trying to remove the center console on the tank. The bolt/stud that the acorn nut ( nut above ignition switch )is screwd on to is stripped in its slot so I cant free the nut in order to remove the console. Any suggestion s on removing this besides using a cutoff wheel on the nut??thanks

Old 05-14-2008, 02:28 PM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: TANK CONSOLE REMOVAL

The stud that the acorn nut attaches to fits loosely in a slot in the dash. Are you saying you can't get the acorn nut off ? If the nut won't move I'm not sure what your options would be. Don't want to scratch getting too close with any cut off tool.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:32 PM
GITRCustomed
1st Gear

Right.Can't break the nut loose from the stud due to the stud has let loose and is just spinning in its slot. The dealer ship told me that if I removed the aft tank bolt I should be able to just push the console forward and the stud should slide out of its slot. but no luck yet on that. I was just trying to install a H.D tank bag.

Old 05-14-2008, 05:48 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

You will need to punch and drill the nut use a small drill bit and work your way up to the bolt size if it spins put your ring spaner on. Cut a hole in a mat put over tank to stop damage if you slip with the drill. Take your time use new drill bits.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:07 PM
GITRCustomed
1st Gear

Is this a hexbolt or stud that is installed? After I get this removed is this slot for the stud part of the tank or something easy to replace, so I will not have this problem again or when I am tightening the nut back on?

Old 05-14-2008, 07:32 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Its a stud that slips in the fuel tank top plate .Your fuel pump and guage sender is under this plate its held on by 10 screws.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:37 PM
jeff194
Cruiser

How about a nut splitter? One of those tools that fits over the nut you are trying to remove, then you wind a sharp pin into the side of the nut splitting it in half.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:26 PM
GITRCustomed
1st Gear

Will I have to replace the top plate since it seems to be stripped out and not holding the stud??

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 PM
PiedPiper
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 49 Posts

I think your best option is what the dealer suggested, take the bottom bolt out and try pushing the console forward. the stud should slip off the top plate. just be careful because there are wires inside the console that only have so much play. you said this isn't working. why not? a nut splitter might work. as far as what your going to have to replace, you need to see what the problem is first. the stud is simply held in place against the top plate by tightening the acorn nut. it's a pretty simple setup and my guess is it somehow got dislodged and is now spinning free.

Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 PM
GITRCustomed
1st Gear

Well I able to remove the aft mount plate and slide the console forward to slide the bolt from its slot. It appears that someone put alot of red loctite on the threads then bolt started spinning in its slot. thanks

Quick Reply: TANK CONSOLE REMOVAL