Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rinehart End Caps, Need Help?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 12:00 PM
rysess20
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rinehart End Caps, Need Help?

The short of it is I have had to loosen the bolts and grab a block of wood and knock the end caps back flush to the rear pipe. The end cap comes away from the pipe itself enough to prob slide a dime in between the end cap and pipe causing it to leak and throw black crap all over the back of the pipes. I have them plenty tight when I get them back tight but after about 5 miles they slide right back out. Any tips?? for the money they cost this seems like a real **** set up.

Thanks in advance for any tips

ps the allen heads are not loosening up the cap is just sliding and i've tightened them to the point of almost braking the screw or stripping.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:35 PM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Rinehart End Caps, Need Help?

First, make sure that the baffles are firmly seated as far forward as they will go. Apply some Permatex Ultra Copper sealant to the front of the baffles first.
The baffles rest in the end caps and they could push them back out.
You could also wrap the baffles to keep the exhaust from getting to the outside between the baffle and the muffler case. It could push the end caps out as well.
Try putting some of those star type lock washers on the end cap bolts. I realize they are not coming loose but the washers might provide enough grip that the caps will stay put.
If you aren't planning on taking the caps off frequently, put some of the Permatex on the rear end of each baffle and on the inside of the muffler case to seal and help hold the caps on.
never had the issue myself, I run turn downs on my Rineharts most of the time anyway.
Good luck!

U

Old 05-14-2008, 12:54 PM
cowboyglide
Banned

ORIGINAL: rysess20

The short of it is I have had to loosen the bolts and grab a block of wood and knock the end caps back flush to the rear pipe. The end cap comes away from the pipe itself enough to prob slide a dime in between the end cap and pipe causing it to leak and throw black crap all over the back of the pipes. I have them plenty tight when I get them back tight but after about 5 miles they slide right back out. Any tips?? for the money they cost this seems like a real **** set up.

Thanks in advance for any tips

ps the allen heads are not loosening up the cap is just sliding and i've tightened them to the point of almost braking the screw or stripping.
Grind a little off the end of the baffle that goes in the end cap. If you are having to pound the end cap on then the baffle is just a little to long and is pushing back againt the end cap.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:44 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Have you tried calling BUB and asking them what you need to do to make them stay? Who knows, they may have a fix, or send you a new set. I've not had a problem with mine other than the tips turning purple.

Old 05-15-2008, 05:47 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser

My friend has the Rineharts and his end caps changed color from black to almost purple, he made one phone call and they sent him new one's. No questions asked. good luck