Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cracked header pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 11:19 AM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Cracked header pipes

Anyone have any issues with the header pipes (stock) cracking. I have had the pipe crack in the same area twice now. This time it has cracked on both sides. It is cracking at the joint where the rear pipe enters the front. The first time it cracked on the outside. I had it welded and it has cracked in the same spot just behind the weld and on the inside near the frame. I am begining to wonder what is stressing this area so much. I have VH basic slip ons and SE air cleaner. No big HP engine or anything else. Any ideas? Thanks.

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-14-2008, 12:56 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 88 Posts
Default RE: Cracked header pipes

Do you ever back up and park at a curb? One cause of this problem is parking with a muffler resting on the curb and your bikes weight pushing up on theleft side pipe. That'll cause the pipes to crack at the "Y".

Just a thought.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:16 AM
Neil
Road Captain

No I have not parked up against the curb but good thought. This is the junction on the right side of the bike where the front and rear pipe meet. The first time it cracked I thought it might have been from installing the slip ons. I did have to work hard at getting the right side pipe on and off and thought I might have pushed down too hard on it. But now that it has cracked again and in two places i think someting else is causing it.

Neil
RDMC

Old 05-15-2008, 08:21 AM
caspr2
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Y pipe has always been crack prone. Anytime you see one on e-bay grab it up because either you or someone you know will need it.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:30 AM
IM744
Advanced

It looks like you are from up north. We tend to see this problem in the winter when we ride in the cold and then the pipes heat up. It seems to be just a temp change issue that is inevitable. the Y pipe is notorious for this.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:42 AM
harpoon
Cruiser

Yup I certainly have seen it. This winter I was replacing my bars and cable. The clutch cable makes you drop the exhaust to change it out.
So low and behold this is what I found when I took the heat shield off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4888/C7CD8FB4294B474F96384FD9CA643D8E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-15-2008, 10:01 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

caused by heat and stress. the motor is rubbermounted and moves around, the rear end of the exhaust does not move that much, something has to give. Some guy's i know have the same problem, except they wash their scoot as soon as they get home from a ride, actually heard one of them crack, just something to think about.

Old 05-15-2008, 10:23 AM
Neil
Road Captain

Harpoon,

Thanks! That is what mine will look like when the two cracks meet. I am glad to know that I am not the only one with the problem. A budy of mine has the stock set up he is going to give me for short money (he switched to Rineharts). When I get the funds together I think I will be switching to the duals I was thinking about.Thanks again guys this forum is the best!

Neil
RDMC
www.roaddawgs.com

Old 05-15-2008, 10:46 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That's quite a crack. Didn't your bike become really loud all of a sudden? I'm surprised this could go unnoticed. Maybe I should check mine.

Old 05-15-2008, 11:26 AM
harpoon
Cruiser

Nope, had no idea it was cracked and would never had known if I didn't have to take the exhaust down. Never heard any loud noise from that section. But from what I hear this is fairly common. I had a local Custom Muffler shop give it a quick weld and I was back in business.

Harpoon

Quick Reply: Cracked header pipes