Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission built in Japan

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 03:51 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Transmission built in Japan

Hear is one for ya,(Quote) check the eight digit number stamped on the transmission case just above the side door.. If the third digit is a 9 the transmission was built in Japan only...If it is 0 it was built in other countries... And we thought we were riding the only american built motorcycle's... I guess now we have to say it's assembled in the USA HUH???? I quoted this from my 04 big old thick service manual.....Ye Ha.... How many of you guy's knew this????? I sure as hell didn't.....

Old 05-14-2008, 05:28 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 267 Likes on 226 Posts
Default RE: Transmission built in Japan

It would be interesting to see how many of the Jap tranmissions, if any, were excessively noisy and problematic on the '07's. I'm guessing none.

I wonder if this means that all of the parts were actually manufactured in these other countries or if they were just assembled there?

John

Old 05-14-2008, 06:54 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

I would take a tranny built in Japan rather than one built in China!

Old 05-14-2008, 07:16 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: White Knight 04

Hear is one for ya,(Quote) check the eight digit number stamped on the transmission case just above the side door.. If the third digit is a 9 the transmission was built in Japan only...If it is 0 it was built in other countries... And we thought we were riding the only american built motorcycle's... I guess now we have to say it's assembled in the USA HUH???? I quoted this from my 04 big old thick service manual.....Ye Ha.... How many of you guy's knew this????? I sure as hell didn't.....
NOT.............it was built FOR motorcycles shipped to Japan...NOT built in Japan.
Re-read thesubject.....in the 05 manual it is located on page 7-15 1st paragraph. You didnt quote it correctly.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

With a avatar like that who cares.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:05 AM
White Knight 04
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: twincam47

ORIGINAL: White Knight 04

NOT.............it was built FOR motorcycles shipped to Japan...NOT built in Japan.
Re-read thesubject.....in the 05 manual it is located on page 7-15 1st paragraph. You didn't quote it correctly.

Right I did miss quote, but why did they even botherto put the note in our USA service manuals if there aren't any in the states??? Don't hardly make sense to let us know about it if there aren't any here..... I know I wouldn't... Are they made of Jap parts and better quality or what I know about the metric thing but a Harley is a Harley... I guess what I am saying why build a special transmission just foe Japan when the one we are supposed to be getting is fine....

Old 05-14-2008, 08:19 AM
twincam47
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There are a lot of different laws and specifications when it comes to other countries. The IDS (rubber isolated rear drive sprocket) that is stock on our 2008 FL's and a P & A accessory for 2007 models, was in fact OE (stock) on sportsters for Japanprior to its introduction to our bikes. The vacuum actuated air cleaner (active intake) and servo controlled exhaust (active exhaust)are usedoninternational bikes but not on Japan bikes. Lights and lenses are different on international bikes than ours. And in China the full OE windshield as we know it for the Electra Glides cant be used, they have to have the 4" tall clear accessory windshield to be compliant.....they have a height limit to the motorcycle.

So there is something different with the gearing or transmission in general for Japan bikes. This would not be something the MOCO wants because it has to make something different for them instead of a common across the board tranny.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: twincam47

There are a lot of different laws and specifications when it comes to other countries. The IDS (rubber isolated rear drive sprocket) that is stock on our 2008 FL's and a P & A accessory for 2007 models, was in fact OE (stock) on sportsters for Japanprior to its introduction to our bikes. The vacuum actuated air cleaner (active intake) and servo controlled exhaust (active exhaust)are usedoninternational bikes but not on Japan bikes. Lights and lenses are different on international bikes than ours. And in China the full OE windshield as we know it for the Electra Glides cant be used, they have to have the 4" tall clear accessory windshield to be compliant.....they have a height limit to the motorcycle.

So there is something different with the gearing or transmission in general for Japan bikes. This would not be something the MOCO wants because it has to make something different for them instead of a common across the board tranny.
Fact is, HD is global. Like TwinCam said, specs and laws vary country by country. I'm sure the MOCO does a lot of variation for emissions, vehicle laws, safety requirements and the like in order to meet requirements. We build generators and here in the states, different states have different regulations, so we have to manufacture different generators and fuel tanks for different states. Sure, we try to standardize as much as possible but still need to keep cost out. It's strange for me because I have been employed in a global environment for so long I think of it as nothing more than a bigger area we work in, but for a lot of people out there, they are just starting to see and feel the impacts, makes it hard for them to understand what's going on, but as scary as it is, it may be someday, we'll just be happy it's made on this planet.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:43 AM
Frankie-FLHXI
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys its not HD's fault that they are bulding or buying parts from other countries. They are only trying to compete in a "global market". The real problem is the politcians that allow it to be done. I mean how can an american company with american workers union or not compete with a forgien worker who makes less than what we pay for a gallon of gas. Taking a stance and ponding your chest is pointless unless you vote out the problem.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:29 AM
milo8155
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Done! All sounds good, no fouls....Let's Ride

milo8155
07 FLHX
03 FXST
Collierville,TN