Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electra vs Road

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:47 AM
khenders
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electra vs Road

Can someone tell me whatare the majordifferences between theElectra Glides and Road Glides? Last weekend I started looking at the Electra Standard /Street Glides (boy, does that Street fit me like a glove). The Standard seemed to be a bit taller and I was so excided that I forgot to sit on any ofthe Road Glides. I never buy anything when I'm pumped up because I tend to forget littlethings like thinking and asking questions! Thanks

Old 05-13-2008, 11:52 AM
Headshot
Intermediate
Default RE: Electra vs Road

The main difference is the way the fairings are mounted. Electra Glides, Ultras, and Street Glides all use the traditional "Bat Wing" fairing which is mounted to the bars/forks. The Road Glide fairing, also known as the "Shark Nose", is mounted to the frame.

Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
iann8ik
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm betting you just opened a big ol can of "SG vs. RG".

Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 PM
CKinAZ
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you like the looks of both, then go to a dealer that will let you demo them, or rent them if you can do that. They are basically the same bike, with different fairings and cosmetic differences though.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:46 PM
khenders
Advanced

I was able to do a groupdemothis pastSaturday on both Bikes at a local dealership. They had different size batwings and they happen to be the biggest bikes I've ever been on. I was able to handle them and got better the second time around. That's why I was so excited if you follow my dirft. I had been looking at a Dyna Super Custom and THE WIFE decided I should try the bigger bikes. Now she says I should get the biggest bike I can handle.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:52 PM
TXMikey
Advanced

Sounds like you have a remarkable wife who wants to have some comfort when she rides along. I debated between the SG and RG, and am now the proud owner of the SG.

From my perspective, the RG seemed to shake more on idle, and just didn't feel as comfortable as the SG. Those that have RGs seem to really like them, but to me they look too much like a Goldwing. Frame, motor, etc, are the same on both bikes.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:54 PM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

EG, you can always detach items and make it a SG...

Old 05-13-2008, 05:26 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

three words Electra Glide Classic

Old 05-13-2008, 07:19 PM
waffler
Tourer

I've had both and here is my opinion. The electra glide gives you more protection from the cold/wind if you live in a cold area. You can feel the weight of the fork mounted fairing compared to a road glide. If you buy an electra glide classic you get more for your money. SG pay more get less but looks good. Butif you take a road glide out for a spin you might never want to come back.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:39 PM
TWINCAM96
Advanced

DID THE SAME THING WITH THE SG, ELECTRA STD. OR ROAD KING CLASSIC. WEIGH YOUR OPTINS ON WHAT YOU WANT ON YOUR BIKE AND THEN COMPARE THE PRICES TO GET IT WHERE YOU WANT IT. I WENT WITH THE STANDARD, ADDED THE RADIO, BECAUSE I LIKED THE BETTER SEAT FOR THE LONG HAULS, AND THE PASSING LAMPS WAS A MUST FOR ME. SG DIDN'T HAVE THEM OR A GOOD SEAT. BUT GOTTA TELL YA FOR THE MONEY ITS THE ELECTRAGLIDE CLASSIC AND JUST GET THE QUICK RELEASE TOUR PAK DEAL AND YOU WILL LOVE IT. THE ROAD KING JSUT HAD THE DETACH WINDSHIELD THAT I LIKED BUT. NEEDED THE RADIO RATHER THAN THE CRUISE CONTROL. VERY GLAD I WENT TO A BAGGER. WELL WORTH IT FOR THE COMFORT AND BAGS WHEN HITTING THOSE BIKE WEEKS. GOOD LUCK WITH WHAT YO GO FOR, YOU WILL HAVE A BLAST IM SURE WITH WHATEVER YOU GO WITH......

Quick Reply: Electra vs Road