Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FHLTCU

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
avalauncher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New FHLTCU

Good morning. Other than my intro on the "New Member" forum, this is my first post here, so let be re-introduce myself. Live in Denver and just purchased a new Ultra and will be picking it up later this week. In the past I had a 1995 Sportie and a 1994 Springer. Things have certainly changed since the mid nineties. On the down side of my fifties and recently retired. Decided it was time to re-realize my dream. So, with this purchase I was looking for pure touring comfort. With that in mind, I have a couple of questions.

I will be running synthetic throughout. I was also thinking of adding the oil cooler. Though not necessarily needed, I see no downside (unless one of y'all is aware of something I'm not, which is highly likely). But, now for the trickier part. I want to maintain the stock fuel efficiency as best as I can, yet have the bike perform as efficiently as possible. Just what exactly do I mean by efficiently? Well, I'm not interested in a high torque street beast, if you get my drift. Just a cruising dream that can breath that way it should, keep temperatures as under control as possible, and just purr along. Possibly a bit better exhaust sound, but nothing to drown out the tunes. :-)

With that said, I am contemplating the SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner and the SE Street Perf. Touring pipes. As best as I can tell from reading the literature and the posts here, that can also require a re-map, or not. I'm seeing differing opinions.

So, what y'all think? Right direction to take, or leave it stock ('cept for the oil cooler, which like I said, I see no down side to) or make these simple mods. And, if opting for the mods, what's the impact to fuel efficiency, if any.

Lastly, do any of you know how difficult it is to type on this board, the whole time with "Biker Planet" babe looking over her shoulder at me? That's just not right.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:36 AM
rjgraham
Tourer
Default RE: New FHLTCU

Stage I is a must for any bike.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:38 AM
avalauncher
Intermediate

Okay, but forgive my ignorance. Are you saying the Stage 1 Air Cleaner, or Stage 1 mods beyond that?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:46 AM
hoosierhog88
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you should plan on a re-map or as some others will attest, using a fuel management system. If you open up the air mixture by installing a SE A/C and different muffs, the ECM will still be operating as if the bike was stock. Adding a SERT (Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner) reprograms the ECM to compensate for the changes you make.

If you need more information, don't hesitate to PM.

Good luck!

Ray

Old 05-13-2008, 08:47 AM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Congrats on the bike.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum and back to riding motorcycles. The Electra Glide is the most comfortable bike on earth for all-day cruising...

At 1000 miles you can switch to synthetic. Most say you should log 1k before the switch.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:58 AM
Q Hog
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

welcome to the forum.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:04 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For good all around performance and mileage you will need the S/E high flow air cleaner, and the exhaust of YOUR choice (listen to lots of bikes and then make your decision) and a fuel management system ( I use the Vance & Hines Fuelpak) easy to install and program yourself and being that you said you weren't in the market for anything high performance the Fuelpak will work nicely. All of these items can be installed by you and save yourself some $$$ on labor cost. Enjoy the bike !!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Welcome back. I have a 2007 Ultra Classic, Heat was my main concern and reliablity ranks right up there too.
I went with SC Air Cleaner parts and a K&N washable filter (you can buy the parts cheaper than in the kit form), I found some new take off CVO (SE) Road King slip-on mufflers on ebay for a very reasonable price, and not much more sound over stock, but a lower pitch sound and I like the look. I wasn't looking for anything loud, cruising for long distances with loud pipes aren't fun to me.
And of course a SERT, I modified the canned SERT map for a bit more fuel across the board 14.2 vs. 14.6 for crusing. The map seems just right, I think by staying with HD parts, that helps, unless you have it Dyno tuned.
From there I switched to synthetic oil. Mobile 1 20w50 motor, 10w40 primary and 75w90 for the transmission. My heat is lower but not as low as I would like it. I have thought about an oil cooler but haven't done it yet. My main concern would be having a hose letting loose on the road. But if I put one on, it would be the Jegg's low mount 10 row with the offset oil filter.
One thing I do in the summer is remove my lowers, and carry a set of HD nylon fabric lowers which are rolled up in the saddle bag for any cold or rainy weather. I think this is a fair trade off, it's alot cooler riding without them.
I'm averaging around 45+mpg at highway speeds.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:56 AM
jackja25
Road Captain

Welcome, you will definately enjoy your new ride. Do the stage one at your earliest convience. Wait and switch to Synthetic at the 1k check. If you are not going to do any other mods to your engine, like stated earlier V/H Fuelpack the easiest to use.

Quick Reply: New FHLTCU