Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New FHLTCU

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 09:32 PM
avalauncher
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New FHLTCU

Thanks for all the info. I am currently leaning towards the Fuelpak - appears to be the easiest and I'm not thinking my application calls for much more than that. But, before I make the leap, what about the SERT - overkill? I had initially ruled it out as it costs more, appears considerably more complicated (and, apparently, considerably more versatile) and I didn't think what I required demanded that degree of upgrade. Was/am I right or should the SERT be a valid consideration rather than the V&H?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 PM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy the SERT or the new Super Tuner if an '08. The difference in price is nominal as compared to the cost of the bike and all the crap we all hang off of them.
Much more versatile if you ever want to change components later. Also allows for rear cylinder tuning to cool it down. And any HD and most indys can tune it. There is no substitute for a good dyno tune on any bike. MAPS will get ya close but conditions vary. Optimize engine temp. and fuel mileage for your needs.
Congrats on the new scooter!!
"Shiny side up!"

U

Old 05-13-2008, 10:26 PM
clayguy
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Terrific post! I am picking up my new Ultra (my first HD) day after tomorrow in VA and will ride it back to Denver over about 10 days. I had EXACTLY the same questions. Great responses. See you on the road. Thanks, Clayguy

Old 05-13-2008, 10:43 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Congratulations and welcome to the forum. I haven't been here but a couple of months myself and I've found a wealth of helpful tips and friendly advice. I'm pretty much in your type situation in life and have been fortunate enough to enjoy my '07 Ultra for the past year and 17,000 miles. The only changes I have made were a H-D Premium oil cooler, a K&N #1499 air filter, a pair of '06 H-D SE Performance Touring slip-ons, and just recently, the Nightrider O2 IED's. And since my 1,000 mile service, all Syn-3. Very pleased with fuel mileage (45 highway and 37 city averages) and sound, and (mostly)satisfied with performance.

Old 05-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Peppa1
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: avalauncher

Thanks for all the info. I am currently leaning towards the Fuelpak - appears to be the easiest and I'm not thinking my application calls for much more than that. But, before I make the leap, what about the SERT - overkill? I had initially ruled it out as it costs more, appears considerably more complicated (and, apparently, considerably more versatile) and I didn't think what I required demanded that degree of upgrade. Was/am I right or should the SERT be a valid consideration rather than the V&H?
As I stated in previous post for what you are planning on doing to the bike the SERT is over kill. Cost more for SERT and then you have to pay for the Dyno time to really get it set up properly. I'm just like you, the stock bike has plenty of power, all you need to do is get the exhaust, high flow, and fuel pack to achieve what you say you want. You can install and program all of these items yourself and have money left over for some shiny chrome or other creature comfort items.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:31 AM
avalauncher
Intermediate

Any recommended vendors for V&N products?

Old 05-14-2008, 01:47 PM
ballpeen
Tourer

"Welcome".. Have fun, Ride safe.. Tim

Old 05-14-2008, 02:09 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

Do the stage one upgrades, buy a SERT and get it dyno tuned by a good tuner. I finally got mine dyno'd, and the differance it made is unbelivable! The bike runs cooler, pulls hard and runs smoother than it ever had.I wishI had done it sooner!

It's your bike,Do what you can afford.

Old 05-14-2008, 03:39 PM
leicafish
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Welcome

When I got my 07-SG the dealer insisted that i put as close to 1000 miles on the bike before changing anything.

To date I have done the following with very good results and reliability.

Syn-3 in all

SE Air Cleaner
Stage one re-map
SE 50-State legal slip-ons

Now my rationale. With you being in the Denver area. Because of the noise abatement issues I would only go with 50-State legal slip-ons. Because of the idiots with straight pipes and spastic throttle hands we are all going to have to be in compliance so why hassle with with future changes. The Stage One remap was just fine for cooling the bike, smoothing out the torque curve and matching the new intake. If your intent is to maintain a dependable bike with a little enhancement I would not do anything more.

The next plan in the order will be.

K & N filter and more chromethis spring.

At 25,000 miles 103 Stage two and Cam Kit.

Old 05-15-2008, 09:18 AM
avalauncher
Intermediate

Question, what is the difference in audible volume between the stock pipes and the SE Performance Touring ones? When I got my springer in mid'nineties, the stock pipes were, as best as I recall, pretty quiet. Barely had the Harley sound. Well, the stock ones on this Ultra are seemingly louder, not sure how much louder I'd care for. But I do want the added performance of the SE's. So, just curious, is there much of a volume (in sound) difference?

Again, thanks in advance for any info.

Quick Reply: New FHLTCU