Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Batwing Wobble?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 11:41 AM
kjkustoms
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wheel bearings, steering head ? just went through my whole front end because of a wobble I experienced while on a trip through the Black Hills. So far I have replaced front wheel bearings, changed fork fluid, had front tire re-balanced. Two things I found that may be contributing factors were, broken fairing bracket, and the neck was completely dry, no grease in it at all ! I took a whole tube of grease, there is a grease zerk on the neck lower front. After all the work I think that the grease fixed the problem, no wobble at all. You might want to start there. JMO

Old 07-22-2011, 12:13 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by kjkustoms
Wheel bearings, steering head ? just went through my whole front end because of a wobble I experienced while on a trip through the Black Hills. So far I have replaced front wheel bearings, changed fork fluid, had front tire re-balanced. Two things I found that may be contributing factors were, broken fairing bracket, and the neck was completely dry, no grease in it at all ! I took a whole tube of grease, there is a grease zerk on the neck lower front. After all the work I think that the grease fixed the problem, no wobble at all. You might want to start there. JMO
Might want to keep some extra rags in the bag, that tube of grease will soon be making it's way back out the neck and all over you and your bike if you dont keep it wiped up regularly.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:03 AM
tlindell
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wobble Fixed

I don't have a Street Glide but my '02 Electra Glide Classic developed a severe wobble this year. First time in the 80k miles I have had this issue. I replaced both tires and wheel bearings and the wobble is completely gone.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:10 AM
jafhdo
Cruiser

15K miles on my '10 SG and no wobble up to 115mph.

Buffeting when passing trucks, gusting sidewinds, etc. yes, but no wobble.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:52 AM
burnafatty
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have an 08 Street Glide and it does it on long sweeping turns. My steering bearings are fine, I can feel when it's going to happen so it's not a big deal to me. Love the ride and if that's all the quarks it has, I am good with it. 28000 miles and it still makes me smile ( like a good women).

Old 08-01-2011, 10:10 AM
turbotony
Intermediate

I had both rear and front tires installed...factory HD's on my 08 rk....front head bearings repacked....have a Memphis Shades bat wing.....getting on the freeway yesterday....hit 80mph and recovered.....WOA......from a severe wobble.....almost lost it. I am thinking of installing a front stabilized. Years of motocross and street riding saved me.