Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First impressions with Street Glide

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 10:23 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First impressions with Street Glide

First impressions:

The bike is brand new, with Zero miles on it. First stop was at the dealer to tell them that I wanted the new injectors, and I had the bulletin to show them.

I put 68 miles on after work today. 45 degrees out when I started out. I varied my speed most of the time. Tried to keep the motor between 2200 and 4400 on the tach. I hit 5000 rpm a few times to push the motor a little. The paint on the motor is still burning off at this point.

Seat and seat/height for someone that is 5’11”
Both feet touch the ground flat, stock seat is rather firm, need something better for the long rides. I think that a back rest is or will be needed. I just need to figure out which one, adjustable or non-adjustable.

Floor boards:
They need to be about an inch further out away from the motor then where they are. I need to figure out what to do the get them extended out an inch or so.

Shifter Heel/Toe:
The heel part needs to be lower. I found that I had to lift foot rather high every time I needed to shift. I think that it can be adjusted so it can be lower.

4” windshield:
It sucks no real protection. I bought a 9” windshield, and that was not high enough. I might try a 10 inch. Tip here is, buy a high windshield and if it is to high have it cut down.

Speedo-meter:
I think that it is reading a little bit high, and I will find out for sure when I use my GPS to check it. The numbers on the speedo are a little difficult to see once it starts getting dark out.

Break Pedal:
Needs to be a little bit more forward. I found the my foot was resting below the pedal most of the time. I am going to look into the Kuryakyn break pedal.

Radio/CD player:
The CD’s did skip every once in a while. Pretty good sound for stock speakers. The radio sounds pretty good too. I really like the function controls for it to be very nice right at my finger tips. I loved coming thru town with the tunes playing. I might need the better speakers with louder pipes.

Stock Pipes:
Sorry but I do not like it, the bike is to quiet for me. DG Hard Krome T-Rex True Duals will be on it after I hit 800 miles. Plus Dyno custom fuel map with a PCIII.

Headlight and Driving lights:
It was just starting to get dark when I came home so I am not sure as of yet.

Engine:
Feels pretty good, but I think that it was a little rough. I am sort of thinking that it may be running a little lean, but I did not pull a plug to look at them yet. I still think that I need to get the dealer to put the new injectors in. To keep the rpm’s up I was running in 4th gear while running 55 to 70 mph, but I did have it in 5th as well to keep the rpm range moving and not staying steady at one rpm for very long.

If anyone has any opinions, feel free to give them. This was what the bike felt like to me. I like the bike a lot, and I will be doing things to take care of the issues that I have with it.

Bob

Old 02-22-2006, 10:35 PM
Primo
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: First impressions with Street Glide

Thanks for the first impressions Bob. I will be picking mine up by 3/1 and am looking forward to the ride. I loved it when I rented one 2 weeks ago.

As you stated most of the things you mentioned can be adjusted or changed to meet your size/needs.

For me at a lowly 5'-7' with a ridiculous 28 inch inseam the bike fit me perfectly.

I'm adding some different brake and shift levers only for cosmetic effect.

I'm sure some of the extended levers and/or minor adjustments will make your ride more comfortable.

Also I have the Sundowner 2 up seat on order. Had it on my '05 RKC and loved it.

Enjoy the ride!

Primo

Old 02-22-2006, 10:40 PM
Otisroundtree
Tourer

Great choice in Bikes...I hope you really enjoy it! I am sure you will! As far as the windshield goes...that is personal. I am 6'5 and the wind has never bothered me...the longest ride I took was from Los angeles to Sandiego and back...all I was missing was a back rest which I now have. My point for the newbee is...be patient, ride your bike and make decisons based on how you feel not every opinon that has been posted...you will be broke trying to do that.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:41 PM
HD Renegade
Road Warrior

Thanks Primo, also glad that you were ok from the Christmas day deal too.

I did forget to mention with the air temp being 45 degrees when I started, I have the covers that go over the crash guard, and the freedom wings on the fairing. I was wearing leather chaps, leather gloves (thin), leather coat w/liner, and a half helmet, and I stayed pretty warm for the most part too.

It was 35 degrees out once I got back home and my hands were starting to get a little bit cold.

Bob

Old 02-22-2006, 10:48 PM
Topper
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: HD Renegade
Shifter Heel/Toe:
The heel part needs to be lower. I found that I had to lift foot rather high every time I needed to shift. I think that it can be adjusted so it can be lower.

4” windshield:
It sucks no real protection. I bought a 9” windshield, and that was not high enough. I might try a 10 inch. Tip here is, buy a high windshield and if it is to high have it cut down.
You can adjust the heel shifter yourself, very easy, had to move mine down also.

No problems here with a 6" windshield and I'm 5'11", with the 4" the wind hit me right in the eyes, the 6" is perfect for me.

Enjoy the new ride[sm=biker2.gif]

Old 02-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Bob, I share most of your opinions especially the windshield (for winter I'm running with a 12", great protection) and the floorboards. Would actually like a board with a little more size and vibration absorbtion. I have a Sundowner seat but am thinking about changing to a Mustang.
These things are just cosmetic and are easy to fix. My real issues and concerns are centered around the SG's driveability. Namely the "Heat management System", lean running conditions, squealing front brake etc.
etc.
With all this moaning, I still love my SG! I'll make it right sooner or later!

Old 02-23-2006, 12:39 AM
PhatHarley4Me
Tourer

First impressions:

The bike is brand new, with Zero miles on it. First stop was at the dealer to tell them that I wanted the new injectors, and I had the bulletin to show them.

Can you shed some light on the bulletin? I'm suppose to pick mine up the 2nd week of March.

Sorry...... I just noticed the thread going on for the injectors.....thanks anyway

Old 02-23-2006, 12:44 AM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

I adjusted my shifters but need to get a longer heel shifter to be comfortable. I put the Kuryakin floorboard extenders on mine and it is MUCH more comfortable, they are worth the 30 bucks. I looked at the SG and as a 2nd bike it would be great, but my wife rides with me 90% of the time and she likes her "grandma" seat.

Old 02-23-2006, 04:17 AM
bluesgub
Cruiser

Similar opinion. Stock windshield is no problem with a full face helmet, half helmet I might as well not have the windshield at 80mph. CD's stopped with everyone I put in, didn't happen in my car or house. Footboards and heel shifter, no problem. The heat management system I've had advice from," First I've heard of it", to "Same with mine and my buddies but now that I've changed pipes, and done a SERT download etc. I think it's okay". An extra couple of grand on top of $21,000+?

I'm 6'2" so am looking at a 12" windshield, maybe. My sales guy said to make a list and bring it in at the 1,000 and they would take care of what they could. General consensus is the motor won't burn up with the heat management system, just annoying. Makes me think of Harley's of the 70's that couldn't get through an intersection. All and all I love the bike, it drives itself. I'm glad I don't have cruise control though cuz at 80mph on the freeway with music I would probably fall asleep.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:43 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What was their response to the bulletin? Did they say ok or come up with some excuse at first?

Floor boards:
They need to be about an inch further out away from the motor then where they are. I need to figure out what to do the get them extended out an inch or so.

Shifter Heel/Toe:
HD makes a kit to kick the board out an inch or so in their catalog or online. I'm thinking about getting it also. Shifter can be adjusted to your liking.

4” windshield:
I'm 5'8" and will be changing mine out to a 6"

Speedo-meter:
I think that it is reading a little bit high, and I will find out for sure when I use my GPS to check it. The numbers on the speedo are a little difficult to see once it starts getting dark out.
All speedometers on Jap bikes read higher then they actually are going. it's been that way for a long time so i'm guessing HD would prob be the same???

Glad ya like your bike so far!!

Quick Reply: First impressions with Street Glide