Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the stock exhaust pipe measurement? Vers after market True Duals?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:57 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is the stock exhaust pipe measurement? Vers after market True Duals?

Ok PLEASE don't flame me for this one, I have heard this today and it just does not make any sense!

The guy tells me that the "stock" exhaust piping is 2 and some inches, and he mentioned that the Vance & Hines True Dual header is something like 1 7/8 inches..

In this the smaller diameter of the after markets headers produce more power.

I have though that the factory header would be small then the after markets headers?? That is why I thought that you would go to an exhaust from an after market, for more FLOW, or LESS restriction in the exhaust header!???

This all came about when I told the guy that I wanted to get the Full Sack, True Dual conversion kit. Which used the factory headers and only eliminates the "Y" pipe and gives you two other pieces to allow the conversion to true dual exhaust.

So the question is, if I use true dual by Full Sack (with the stock header, at least up front) and the rear peice with an elimation of the "Y" I'm hoping it is the same measurement as the replaced rear stock header to the exhaust to ensure ballance! Would this seriously degrade performance (all things being the same dimention front and rear with the Full Sack installed) in that it may be larger then the after market complete exhaust header systems???

Thanks,
Gary

Old 02-22-2006, 10:16 PM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: What is the stock exhaust pipe measurement? Vers after market True Duals?

Save yourself the aggrivation of eliminating the y pipe with a conversion. Get a true dual set-up from eith Vance and Hines or Basanni. You'll be much happier. I have the true duals from Vance and Hines on order to go with the Oval Slip-Ons that I currently have on the bike.

Nuff said.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:50 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Default RE: What is the stock exhaust pipe measurement? Vers after market True Duals?

ORIGINAL: luvmyflhtcui

Save yourself the aggrivation of eliminating the y pipe with a conversion. Get a true dual set-up from eith Vance and Hines or Basanni. You'll be much happier. I have the true duals from Vance and Hines on order to go with the Oval Slip-Ons that I currently have on the bike.

Nuff said.

OK...I have to ask ...why? Why change the whole set-up when all your really getting (or loosing) is the Y pipe? Is the front pipe that much different? Its all you're really getting then. I really like my pipes and don't want to have to buy a whole system just to get true duals. The Full-Sack just seems like a better and cheeper way to go.

Old 02-23-2006, 06:30 AM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy just the True Dual headpipes. Then just put your mufflers on. Who ever told you that you had to buy the whole setup wasn't telling the truth. If you mufflers you wanna keep now work on your stock headpipes then they will work on the True Dual headpipes.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

I guess my point is not all that clear?

I know that I can use any muffers with the after market True-dual head pipes.

The guy is trying to point out, that even with my "stock" mufflers, after market head pipes are smaller in diameter and will inprove my performance over the stock head pipes that he said are larger in diameter!

Even if I go with the Full Sac http://www.fullsac.com/products_exhaust.htm my performance with the stock mufflers will not be as good as another mfg's after market set of head pipes! Due to Full Sac being the same pipe diameter as stock head pipes in the their true dual kit listed in the link.

Old 02-23-2006, 08:48 PM
bountyhunter
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Get rid of the junk stock exhaust and clamps. Go with a solid, double wall, true dual. Get SOLID!
Best damn bagger exhaust system I have seen, no contest. Killer sound and looks.

Old 02-23-2006, 10:47 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Get rid of the junk stock exhaust and clamps. Go with a solid, double wall, true dual. Get SOLID!
Best damn bagger exhaust system I have seen, no contest. Killer sound and looks.
Man that is a KILLer set of Pipes! WOW

What do they run? Cost that is! ?