Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First long(ish) road trip on my new Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2008, 11:54 PM
dragonx
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default First long(ish) road trip on my new Ultra

Hi Guys
Well I am taking my first road trip on my new Ultra with my Dad,2of my uncles and my best friend. My one uncle used to ride alot but got rid of his bike due to family considerations. I invited him to go along and offered him my second bike a 2002883R (trying to make some comfort provisions for him see my post in the sportster forum if you have suggestions). He was so excited he couldn't stand it. I can tell already that everyone else is excited too and it should be a great time.We are leaving from Ohio and heading to the Blueridge Parkway. I cannot friggen wait 4 days no job, no wife, no kids (although I love my wife and daughter alot, time away is nice too) just us the bikes and the road. Wait a minute did that sound something like a line from Wild Hogs. Anyway I have a couple of questions and I know some of this has been covered in other posts but the search feature is a little wacky right now. First what emergency stuff should I take other than cell phone HD toolkit and my HOG membership card. Also several years ago I had surgery on my tailbone, the stock Ultra seat is pretty good especailly with the new highway pegs and backrest that I added but I still get some pain after 150 miles or so. What I really want to do is send my seat to Allen at Mean City Cycles but we leave on May 29th and with as busy as he is, I don't think he could turn it around fast enough. So I am stuck with trying to buy some type of seat cushion to help ease the pain some Cost for the most part is not a factor (within reason, I can't afford a completely new seat or anything). I would greatly appreciate any recommendations you all have for gel pads, seat beads, whatever I just can't let my Dad and my uncle who ride Goldwings give me a hard time cause I can't keep up . Also if you guys have any good recommendations on things to see while we are in the BlueridgeParkway Area or anyreally great roads that we should ride please share.

Thanks
Phil

Old 05-12-2008, 12:53 AM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: First long(ish) road trip on my new Ultra

Whew, I think your Uncle on the 883 is gonna be miserable. Riding that thing 4 days with tourers is going to be harsh. As far as your Ultra goes, I just put a sheepskin on my seat I got from a parts house for a bucket car seat. I just cut it to fit, see sig pic. You shouldn't have much of a problem cause your gonna be stopping pretty often to fill up the Sporty. Chance to take a break and stretch you legs and back.

For emergency kit, the skys the limit. Something to plug a tire with, some basic first aid stuff, and a cell phone, maybe a small assortment of basic tools in case something comes loose is all you'll need.

Hope ya'll have a heck of a time, I know I did on that trip, I took 5 days, and didn't want to come home. As far as roads to ride, in that area there's just too many to list, they're all good.

Old 05-12-2008, 01:07 AM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Put your uncle on the back of a wing

Old 05-12-2008, 07:48 AM
dragonx
Tourer

Well it probably might be a little rough for him but I am sure we will all take a SHORT turn on the Sporty to give him a break. I think he will be alright though 10 years ago we went all over the country on an 800cc import bike.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:16 AM
jeffbarb17
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think your uncle as well as the rest of you will be very frustrated.......perhapes he would consider renting a bike for the trip....it would be easier on him for comfort and storage as well as easier on the rest of you......IMO

Life is Great...We all Ride!!!!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/48412/D97D16F2A73948FAAF38113D2970CD9E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-12-2008, 10:51 AM
dragonx
Tourer

Wow guys I have to say you have taken a little luster off what I though was doing something nice for my uncle. This trip was not meant to be an Iron Butt Ride just a nice ride to enjoy each others company. Now I feel like it may not be worth going. If we only ride a couple hundred miles a day I will be happy I just wanted to get out of Ohio. I have never felt like the Sporty is an undeserving mount, not even close to my Ultra but still a fun bike. I have ridden a couple hundred miles on it in one day before and I am a big guy and had no windshield or soft seat, I didn't feel that bad. This thread was more to tell you all about my excellent adventure but now I am not sure it will be enjoyable or not.

Later
Phil

Old 05-12-2008, 10:58 AM
mcouture
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I think people with their big tour bikes are getting soft! HaHa

I've done and routinely ride 100+ miles at a time on my Sporty. I wouldn't think twice about riding 150-200 miles in a day on it.

Your uncle may be a bit out-of-shape though so I'd take it slow and easy.

Have a great time!

Old 05-12-2008, 11:18 AM
dragonx
Tourer

Yeah I probably also should mention that my Dad and my uncles are only in there 50's so it isn't like they are frailor anything. Yes if you do some math you will figure out that I am a younger Ultra rider at the ripe old age of 28...lol. Iabsolutely love this bike though I am a Geezer Glider and damn proud of it...lol.

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Fahpah
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like a blast to me!! Especially if you guys spell each other on the Sporty, noone should get that tired or worn down. If he rode all over the country on an 800cc bike 10 years ago he has a good idea what he is getting into.

Hope you have a blast and take some pics to post for us.

Ride Safe,

Fah

Old 05-12-2008, 11:25 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I was at the dealership the other day an ran into an ex service writer from that shop. SHE has an 883 and is riding to Myrtle Beach for bike week. 600 miles straight through. I said wow! She said it won't be a problem. Here I was worrying about doing it on my SG! LOL!

Quick Reply: First long(ish) road trip on my new Ultra