Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help bike is shuting down on me

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 08:33 PM
steadyflow
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help bike is shuting down on me

Hello to all,, i need some help here. i have a 2003 ultra classic it is bone stock. no performance add on or any thing like that it has 18,000mi. on it. the bike is shutting down on me. you can be riding along and it is like sombody turn the ignition switch off, you loose all lights and power there is no engine codes or check engine light. when you try to restart it is like there is no battery i mean no power anywheres, u can let it sit for 2 or 3 min. and she will come back to life, but she is running funny, she wont hardly idle and it sounds like it is running on one cylinder. you can kill it as soon as it restarts then restart it it runs like a brand new one. after it shuts down, i loose the time on the radio and all of my audio adjustments and the pre sets for the radio stations it may do this once in a blue moon or it may do it all the time, the last time it happend it was at night and i was running 70mph on a curvy 2 lane black top road down by the house and let me tell yall when you loose all of your lights on a curvy black top running 70mph in the dark it sure causes the pucker effect,lol

i was looking at all of my battery conections and grounds under the seat and i notice there is a circut breaker in line with the positive cable, real close to the battery. looks like if that circut breaker trips it would shut off all power to every where, i just wonder if that could be my problem??? and the running funny part of the story that might be the ecm trying to reprogram its self after loosing all power, i dont know im just thinking out loud here sombody pleas help,, thanks

Old 05-10-2008, 08:49 PM
MACK
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: need help bike is shuting down on me

Probably is your 50 amp fuse. There was a recall on 03 touring bike for that problem. Mine did it and after the new amp fuse was installed the problem was gone. You may want to got to the HD web site and find the maintenance section and plug in your VIN number to see all recalls. if that does not work call your dealeror go by a dealer. yours may have never been done because the previous owner may have never taken it in. Adealer can tell and may or may not have the recall part but HD will bear the expense .Go to service dept at the dealer and have them run your vin on HD net under the service tab to see if it was done. That may not be the problem but likely is.

Old 05-10-2008, 08:57 PM
steadyflow
Advanced

mack thanks for the reply, is that 50amp fuze under the set close to the batt.??, i bought the bike from my dad, he bought it brand new, i will check with him, and also go to the dealer, rite now im out trucking wont be home for a weak or two just wanted to say thanks

Old 05-10-2008, 09:47 PM
mike_oh
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well I have a friend with the same bike and same issue. He has replaced the breaker with the 50 amp one like three times and the problem still persists. The problem you describe is exactly the same. Any other thoughts on this?

Old 05-11-2008, 01:59 AM
steadyflow
Advanced

i found the recall on my bike for the circuit breaker, if this dont fix it i am going to wire around the circut breaker(by pass it)

Old 05-11-2008, 02:04 AM
74_ironhead
Elite HDF Member

that was the problem with my '03 the breaker down by the battery. I want to say it came with a 40 and quit doing after putting in a 50 amp.

Old 05-11-2008, 02:16 AM
steadyflow
Advanced

thanks everyone , im on the road trucking wont be home for a few weaks but when i do get home i will be checking out that circuit breaker, thanks

Old 05-11-2008, 02:18 AM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Go here enter the VIN of the bike ,and see if the recall has been done......https://www.harley-davidson.com/EX/M...ckname=William

Old 05-11-2008, 10:13 AM
DAGWOOD3882
Intermediate

my 03 ultra was doing the same thing....according to the guy i bought it from, the circuit breaker was replaced twice....it was still shutting off after i bought it.....about once a month at first and got really worse......after studying the wiring diagram for sometime, i replaced the ignition switch, the circuit breaker again and the two relays under the seat........its been nearly a year with no problems(knock on wood).....i bought these parts for under a hundred bucks and installed them myself......not sure which one was the culprit but one of them fixed it.......the last time it shutoff i was going down the road at night with my daughter on back and i realized this was very unsafe.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 AM
steadyflow
Advanced

yeah its preaty dam scary when u loose all lights at night in trafic,lol

Quick Reply: need help bike is shuting down on me