Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

amp install

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 03:20 PM
dbuff
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default amp install

Just finished installing polk db521 speakers, high low level converter and blaupunk amp, when I turn the volume up past 3/4 or have the AVC on and get up to highway spead the system cuts out. The speakers still sound good up to this point but it is like something is losing power for 1/2 second and it will keep doing this until I turn it down. Was told buy a tech. at circuit city that it was probably bad ground on the amp, I checked the ground made sure the paint was off the frame and trired again, same result, any suggestions?

Old 05-10-2008, 03:55 PM
07blackcherryflhx
Road Captain
Default RE: amp install

some amps have settings when they reach there max limit they shut down so it dosent blow your speakers. Its like a surge protector. Do you have to shut of the radio and then turn it back on to get it to restart or does it cut out while you are listening and then turn back on with out you touching it. If you have to turn off the radio and turn it back on to get the amp working it goes into protect mode to keep from damaging the other components of your system. Read the manual and find out if this model is equiped with a protect mode.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:25 PM
dbuff
Advanced

It does have protect mode and it is not going into this. It cuts out and comes back on in under a second. I have watched the light on the back of the amp and it has never came on.

Old 05-10-2008, 04:45 PM
a911scanner
Cruiser

Hey dbuff,

Don't forget that since the HK deck is a 2ohm output, the amount of voltage coming out of the speaker wires isexpecting twice the resistancethat of a standard car stereo (not really, but this is the easiest way to describe it)...in other words it's a "hotter" or stronger signal being fed into the line converter. This will essentially cause the amp to go into protection much faster. Therefore, it is critcal to set the gain levels properly, not only on the amplifier, but also on the line converter.

I think you have read some of my other posts, and if you remember I too installed the Blue Dot 275pnp. What I did to set the gains properly was this:

- Turn the gains on the amp & the line converter all the way down (to the left until it stops..you may have seperate left & right levels on the line converter)
- Turn the ignition to on
- Turn the volume on the deck all the way down
- Slowly turn the decks volume to about 2/3 - 3/4 on
- Turn the amplifier gain to roughly 1/2 (really shouldn't be higher than that, but if you insist on more than no higher than 3/4 up)
- Very slowly increase the gain on the converter until you hear a bit of distortion, then dial it back a bit. Repeat for each channel if you have individual gains for left & right channels.

This is the proper way to set your gains for the optimum listening without blowing out speakers or over working the amp. You shouldn't ever have the gain on the amp past 2/3rds. You should really never turn the volume on the deck past 2/3rds. If you do that with either product, you are starting to overdrive the electronics, which will in turn get you to distorted sound levels much more quickly. Lastly, due to the functionality of the decks speker wires, it will operate differently than using these products in a 4 ohm application. Therfore, the line converter will not act the same as some other applications you ay have used them in. Best to start with all gains nearly off then adjust upwards.

Good Luck!

MM

Old 05-10-2008, 09:12 PM
dbuff
Advanced

Thanks for the info, is the protection mode what you think is causing the cut out? Like I said before the protection mode light is not comimg on when it cuts out and nothing shuts down completly. Do you run with the AVC on? I am just wondering if I set it up this way and run with the AVC on it will still cut out because it will max out the volume on the head unit. I will try this, I can set the gains so this does not happen it just seems like when I get up to speed it does not really sound any louder than the stock unit did. In the garage it sounds alot clearer just when I get on the road I just don't think it is any louder. Maybe I am just expecting too much.

Old 05-12-2008, 12:12 AM
a911scanner
Cruiser

Mine soundsa lotlouder when sitting... and louder when moving, but much clearer when traveling down the road. I would say it may not be anthermal issue, which usually is what that indicator is for. I think it is being overdriven by too much voltage, which will cause the temporary cut-out. I get the same thing when the volume is too loud.

I can guarantee you that if it is set up right, it is definately louder than stock. Don't forget that you are trying to overcome 80-90dB worth of wind noise, so it will sound awesome when sitting still, just as it would in a quiet, soundproofed vehicle.

I have the AVC on 1 or 2, any more sends too much voltage when screaming down the road. I actually find myself turning down the volume when it hits that certain note (which is probably the same frequency as the wind noise)...really hurts my ears.

MM

Old 05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
dbuff
Advanced

a911scanner, thanks for your help, I think I have it set up pretty good now.