Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD service bullitan for 06 INJECTORS

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
doomie19
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HD service bullitan for 06 INJECTORS

I just dropped mine off at the dealer. On the way there (less than 15 miles) I got the off-idle spit 3 times. It only happens to me when it's at idle and I give it a little throttle. Then pop/spit... nothing. It's never completely died on me, but I'd hate to see the results if it decided to cough while taking off and making a turn. I run the RPM's up to 3K and ease into the clutch right now to make sure I don't end up sideways in the middle of an intersection.

Now the fun part... dealer said they'd call me if there was a charge??? I got the bike a week ago, not really sure what the charge would be? They did say the bulletin would be under warranty, but they have to reproduce the problem. Shouldn't be hard to do because it's happened a lot for me. Maybe it won't do it inside the warm shop? I'd just like to resolve this now while it's just a sputter rather than in the summer when it becomes an overheating issue.

I guess it wouldn't hurt to try, but I'm a little nervous that I'll get a "problem cannot be duplicated" report when I've had what I consider to a pretty dangerous safety issue on a bike I just paid $20K for. Otherwise I'll be stocking up on clutches!!!

Old 02-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A glowing headpipe at fast idle in not uncommon for any motorcycle - lean or not.

Old 02-22-2006, 09:08 PM
Retired_Ted
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ya know, if I were a dealer and it looked as though the MOCO had screwed up (EPA, actually), I'd change a heckuvalot of injectors before trying to alienate my good customers. Doesn't make one damn bit of sense to insinuate there'd be a charge for a defect!!! I'm afraid I'd lose it, like I'm doing right now and it's not even my bike.[>:]

Old 02-22-2006, 09:16 PM
doomie19
Advanced

Oh, trust me, I'm already brewin'! I was taken by surprise by that comment on my week-old bike [sm=WTFsgign.gif] He followed-up with it would most likely be covered under warranty... whatever the problem. I should hope so, the only add-on I've done so far is put a CD in the player!!! I'm going to exhaust/AC/SERT at the 1K mile service, but I'd rather have the stronger injectors if it's already not right in stock for with the current set. I'm calm for now, I'll save the outburst if I get an answer I don't like! I'll keep y'all posted on how it goes.

Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 PM
UltraScoot
Road Captain

After reading this bulletin I get the impression that and I quote

Check the following:
œ Fuel has the recommended octane rating and is not
contaminated.
œ IAC operation.
œ Spark plug condition.
œ Engine is configured correctly (with the appropriate air
cleaner and exhaust).

œ Vehicle configuration is supported by the correct
calibration. Refer to Calibration Information on h-dnet.com.
Does the vehicle pass inspection?

This will be a deciding factor in which moco will determine if warranty will cover this or not.

My question is this: If mods are done such as pipes, air box and pcIII have been installed will the moco consider this bulletin? And proceed with the changes?

Is this affecting all 06 models manufactured after February 06?

Old 02-22-2006, 10:06 PM
Nomad2day
Cruiser

Stopped by the local Harley dealer here in Clarksville TN last week and talked to the service manager about my 06 RK Custom stumbling on take off sometimes and stumbling when I down shift and start to give it some throttle. Asked him if he could tell me what injectors were in my bike. He told me he did not know which injectors were installed and it was a lean problem with the Harleys and the only way to correct it was through a sert or PCIII and dyno tuned. I asked him about talk that that the injectors were undersized and needed to be changed out with cvo's. I told him if there was a problem with the injectors I wanted to take care of it before I dynoed the bike. He told me that was not a cure to the problem but a band aid. He also told me he had never returned a injector thus far. I told him I had bought a power commander hoping to rectify my problem. He asked me to come back by after it was dyno tuned to let him know if it helped.
Printed a copy of the service bulletin and went by the dealership after work to talk to him again after the mothership had spoken. Today is his day off. The lady at the service desk said they just got the bulletin today.
Perhaps he will be more reasonable to my complaint now. We will see. Bike has 2900 miles and outside heat is not a problem this time of year.
Neil

Old 02-22-2006, 10:58 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

This is very timely and informative info. This is part of what makes this forum so great.
I printed a copy of the bulletin and faxed it to my dealer who of course knew nothing about this. What else is new?
I told them I wanted my injectors changed.
The basis for my decision to have them changed is this: If the MOCO decided to install CVO injectors on every touring bike coming off the line starting Feb. 13th, there must be a good reason. So, why not have my ride with the latest engineering?

My only concerns arethat I will have to get my SERT remapped on the dyno. I'm thinking if the fuel flow is different a new map should be established. Can anyone tell me if I am correct?

Frank

Old 02-22-2006, 11:05 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,692 Likes on 1,252 Posts

Has anyone priced these new injectors? It might be worth buying for pre 06 models if it will make it run better. They can't be to hard to change and I think it sounds like a worth while upgrade.[sm=nxsmile.gif]

Old 02-22-2006, 11:21 PM
doomie19
Advanced

I read it to be 06 models built AFTER the 2/13/06 change-over date will come from the factory with the new injectors and map already in place. Therefore, the bulletin has already been done on these. It would be an 06 model built PRIOR to the changeover date that would justify the injectors.

The underlined portion about the engine being "configured correctly" and even mentioning exhaust and air cleaner makes me think that one of the "race only" parts would be an excuse not to perform this change. I purposely left my Glide absolutely stock for the first 1K miles to work out bugs just like this w/o getting any crap regarding warranty work because of something that I did. We'll see how things work out, I hope to hear something soon.

Streetrunner, I like your logic. If it was enough of an issue that a manufacturing change has been made on ALL the new bikes, why shouldn't we be able to upgrade our injectors that have been deemed unfit for use by H-D? Not sure on the re-map, but I know there is a parameter in there to change injector information.

Old 02-22-2006, 11:24 PM
Topper
Road Captain

My build date was 11/05 and no problems other than a little heat before the pipes, a/c and SERT. Hate to change anything now, because the bike runs like a dream, although I would be pissed if I had a stock bike that ran like crap and a dealer told me I HAD to spend another grand to make it run right. Seems Harley is opening itself up to a class action suit by letting customers run bikes that are not right due to uneducated dealers[sm=badidea.gif]

Pretty sad when the consumer has to educate the Harley Service Depts.

Quick Reply: HD service bullitan for 06 INJECTORS