Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio--Anyone Using One?

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 07:07 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio--Anyone Using One?

I'm considering a couple of different options for a CB for my EG, including this one from Cobra?

Cost is a consideration since I don't use a CB very often, though it would be useful for trips since the guys I ride with have Ultras and the monthly group rides when I lead or sweep.

I've tried the handheld CB, handlebar mount, headset speaker/mic option and didn't care for it--prefer not to install speakers and mic that I use only occasionally in my regular helmet and the patch cords work but create a mess of wires on the bike when installed.

J&M makes a nice unit, but very pricey for my limited use.

The Cobra 75 WX ST unit pictured is appealing since it is easily removed from the bike, though it does use a mounted CB antenna.

Any feedback would be welcome. TIA.

Old 05-09-2008, 07:30 AM
mtairy biker
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Cobra 75 WX ST CB Radio--Anyone Using One?

after you buy it if you buy it pm me and let me know. i have been toying with the same idea I don't know about another anntena likie you i only want it a once or twice a month and I have been with out one for 25 years HAHAHA

Old 05-09-2008, 08:41 AM
khokhonutt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one of these in my Jeep Wrangler. I liked it for the same reasons you're considering it, but it has one limitation that I think will translate to your situation. The majority of the time, I ran my Jeep with no top and no doors and the speaker in the handset was really not adequate to hear over the road noise. My solution in the Jeep was a cheap add on speaker from Radio Shack ($10-$15). I suppose you could do the same thing on your bike, but that's one more thing to bolt on somewhere.

Jeff

Old 05-09-2008, 10:45 AM
mile high king
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have one in my Jeep. Really like it. I actually use it more for the weather radio band than for the CB. It has two devices, one a relatively small black box that I mounted out of the way under the dash and then the main unit. As one of the other posters mentioned, the problem on a bike might be hearing it unless you have an audio system that you could run its output into.

Old 05-09-2008, 12:47 PM
chiefparry
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried a couple opinions my self even cheapish headsets and found that it did not work very well, if you can hear the others well and they can not hear very well you are wasting your time. It really matter on the kind of audio set-up you have meaning good headset for hearing and talking. I'm going with the Midland hand-heldhandlebar mount set up(can me easily removed)and their headset. It is cheaper than there regular name product.I use a couple dif helmets anyway so I'll just set-up my half helmet for the head set. http://www.jmcorp.com/SeeProducts.asp?PF=31.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Thanks for the replies. I am going to go ahead--ordered the Cobra and picked up the HD CB antenna kit sold for installing CB radio on Street Glides and Road Glides--PN 76415-06--at my local HD store--with a special discount it was within a couple of bucks of Zanotti's price (and, surprisingly, they had it in stock!!!)

Question: If I connect the control box to an AUX plug on my headunit (a Sony)to play through the bike's speakers, will audio still play through the speaker in the hand unit?

Additonal replies are welcome. I'll probably have this set-up installed in a week or so and report on how it works. From a cost standpoint, this will be about 200 bucks.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:36 PM
khokhonutt
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Harleypingman

Question: If I connect the control box to an AUX plug on my headunit (a Sony)to play through the bike's speakers, will audio still play through the speaker in the hand unit?
With mine, when I plugged in the auxilliary speaker, sound no longer came out of the handset. I'd assume that will be the case with an aux out cable.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Jeff, thanks for the prompt answer.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:48 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Did you look into adding the CB from the Ultra to your model ? It's probably cheaper to go your route, you usually get what you pay for. Good luck.

Old 05-10-2008, 12:13 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Sure did-- the HD headunit with CBfor my limited application wasn't worth the cost--perhaps if I rode with a passenger and wanted the intercom feature the value of the HD set-up would be different; but for occasional CB use the additonal 500 bucks (minimum)or so to have an HD system didn't compute on the value scale for me.