Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006 | 06:56 PM
Loch
|
Tourer
Default Tour pack removal?

I’m going to be picking up an Ultra in the next month or so and I have a question about tour pack removal. I have all the part numbers and such for the quick detach kit and today I started to wonder. I can obviously remove the tour pack with or without a quick detach kit right? I mean these bikes are simply bolted together for the most part. I’m guessing the kit allows tool free removal of the tour pack but if I’m going to be adding or removing the tour pack in my garage tools aren’t an issue. So do I really need the quick detach kit if I don’t mind spending more than 3 minutes to add the tour pack back to the bike?

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:04 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Default RE: Tour pack removal?

That depends on whether or not you want to just remove the TP from its supporting frame or the entire TP and frame from the rear fender where it mounts. There are 5 bolts that secure the TP to its frame. Don't forget that you also have wiring to consider. The detatchable system is a much cleaner look and removal process.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4575/2189C488F561455B9EB80690EBB6F6B5.gif[/IMG]

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:04 PM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member

I would put it on because you are going to need a quick release plug for the lights and speakers which you should have with your kit. Without these and the kit it's a real booger. Believe me, it's nice being able to take it off quick.

Old 02-21-2006 | 07:49 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

I would concur.

I removed mine this weekend to put on the tourpak extender on FireHawk. CB and Radio antennas, Speaker wires, electrical wires to the lights..... I'd go for the quick detach because you are probably at least want to add quick detach connectors for the wires. Might as well have the whole thing come off at once.

Old 02-21-2006 | 10:26 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member

It's not 3 minutes, more like 20. I've had mine off a few times, for paint repairs, cleaning etc, and it's a pain. I will not take it off again without buying the quick release.

Old 02-22-2006 | 12:45 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain

I bought the Ultra for the complete package. I won't be taking the tour pack off or the lowers off....the Ultra has "The Look" and that's perfect for me.

If your bike is an '06 Ultra...then beware of the possibility of problems with the radio not working correctly with the rear speakers removed. I'm looking into it and will have an answer sometime this week....I have an '04....but the '06 has a lot of new toys in the package.....I'm thinking again......

Old 02-22-2006 | 12:34 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Quick release is the way to go. If you just take the tour pac off, you will leave the rack that it sits on, and that thing is not pretty without the tour pac on it. If you take the rack off also, you are sure not looking at a 20 minute job. It is attached to fender struts and the license plate bracket.

Just an opinion.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-22-2006 | 11:53 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member

Go with the QR bracket, it makes it much easier, and with it off it is much cleaner looking.

Old 02-23-2006 | 12:01 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Scout

It's not 3 minutes, more like 20. I've had mine off a few times, for paint repairs, cleaning etc, and it's a pain. I will not take it off again without buying the quick release.
It is easier with the quick attach kit, but, it still takes time to hide all the wires with tie straps.
I moved to a stubby antenna under the batwing and will be removing the cb anntena altogether since i don't use it. That just leaves rear speaker wires and power for the lights to hide and unhide. With a change of seat should be about 15 minutes each way.

Old 02-23-2006 | 12:53 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

[sm=exactly.gif] Ditto to everyone above. It is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ****! You have to contend with the saddles (6 if I remember correctly) which the bolts go through from the TP through to the TP Mounting Bracket. Also as was pointed out earlier, you have to contend with the struts in order to remove the bracket, bundle your wires and then change the license plate bracket. Just keep this in mind, the Ultra was NOT designed for you to easily remove the TP. Having said that, virtually everyone here, including myself (see pic below) have done it. Trust me on this, once you remove the TP for the first time, you'll never want to put it back on WITHOUT a Quick Release. The QR was the best thing I ever did to my '03 Ultra.

Quick Reply: Tour pack removal?