Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tour pack removal?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2006 | 01:06 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced
Default RE: Tour pack removal?

ORIGINAL: tda69

[sm=exactly.gif] Ditto to everyone above. It is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ****! You have to contend with the saddles (6 if I remember correctly) which the bolts go through from the TP through to the TP Mounting Bracket. Also as was pointed out earlier, you have to contend with the struts in order to remove the bracket, bundle your wires and then change the license plate bracket. Just keep this in mind, the Ultra was NOT designed for you to easily remove the TP. Having said that, virtually everyone here, including myself (see pic below) have done it. Trust me on this, once you remove the TP for the first time, you'll never want to put it back on WITHOUT a Quick Release. The QR was the best thing I ever did to my '03 Ultra.
Okay.. I'm convinced.. now where do you get/find one of these handy-dandy QR kits?

Old 02-23-2006 | 02:03 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SiCkEl_RiDeR

ORIGINAL: tda69

[sm=exactly.gif] Ditto to everyone above. It is a MAJOR PAIN IN THE ****! You have to contend with the saddles (6 if I remember correctly) which the bolts go through from the TP through to the TP Mounting Bracket. Also as was pointed out earlier, you have to contend with the struts in order to remove the bracket, bundle your wires and then change the license plate bracket. Just keep this in mind, the Ultra was NOT designed for you to easily remove the TP. Having said that, virtually everyone here, including myself (see pic below) have done it. Trust me on this, once you remove the TP for the first time, you'll never want to put it back on WITHOUT a Quick Release. The QR was the best thing I ever did to my '03 Ultra.
Okay.. I'm convinced.. now where do you get/find one of these handy-dandy QR kits?

Your local HD shop can fix you up with everything you need. Be advised that the instructions that come with the kit say that they are not for the Classic or the Ultra, but they will work just fine, as many on this board will tell you.

Regards,

Bill

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:12 PM
SiCkEl_RiDeR
Advanced

Obviously you don't know my "local" Harley Dealer.. They are just this side of being ejected out of the GENE POOL. When I went to my dealer and asked about a quick release or quick detach for touring paks, he looked at me for about 10 seconds and said.. "Uhhh.. I never heard of anything like that.. Do you have a part number..?" Trust me, this isn't the first time I've gotten a response like that.

I turned and walked away shakin my head as I left..

Anyone got a link, part number or something concrete I can show them in plain english.

A mind is a terrible thing to waste and most of them work at my dealer.

cheers...

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:20 PM
Peekaboo Bob
Outstanding HDF Member

The docking hardware comes in two kits. 53804-06 is the rear kit for the detachable 2-up tourpak rack (53276-04). The front kit is 53803-06, and is used for detachable sissy bars or the solo tourpak. They say they don't fit the FLHTCUI, but they do. You just have tuck away all the wiring under the seat and side covers and do something with your antennas. Hope this helps.

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:47 PM
turbo54
Road Master

I have the quick detatch levers on my R G it came with all the good stuff .It's easy to remove and the back rest comes with it.I hear it's a bit pricey because but evey thing on a harley is that way in the long run it pays off to do it right for pride and resell.

[IMG]local://upfiles/3159/E0848AED38604932A72150A0F40C7500.jpg[/IMG]

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:51 PM
turbo54
Road Master

Im looking forward to some toureing .When I stop at motel I can detatch all 3 of my bags and have all my stuff safely with me.

Old 02-23-2006 | 11:56 PM
tda69
Stellar HDF Member

ORIGINAL: UltraGeezerGlide

The docking hardware comes in two kits. 53804-06 is the rear kit for the detachable 2-up tourpak rack (53276-04). The front kit is 53803-06, and is used for detachable sissy bars or the solo tourpak. They say they don't fit the FLHTCUI, but they do. You just have tuck away all the wiring under the seat and side covers and do something with your antennas. Hope this helps.

Bill and Ultrageezer are correct.

Order the kit from a dealer and I recommend you check the prices at Chicago HD. They usually sell at 20% off with no sales tax. The shipping charges are minimal. I haven't found better prices anywhere, than Chicago HD. Usually dealers tell you it's not for the FLHTCUI, but I find the guys in the parts department don't know nearly as much as those of us who have installed it successfully. The reason I'm told MOCO says it's NOT for the Ultra is simply because of the wiring in the rear. Well....it's really not that big of a hassle if you ask me (as far as the wiring is concerned). Before you actually remove the Tourpack from the bracket you'll need to:

-Unplug the electrical for the rear lights (driving/brake lights).
-Unplug the stereo antennea
-Unplug the CB antennea
-Unplug both rear speakers (removal from the TP is not necessary)

That's it. Then of course you'll need to remove the TP and the seat. I bundled each of the wires with plastic Zip Ties and tucked them nicely under my seat. If you are concerned about moisture, you can place the wiring in kitchen storage bags. As others will tell you this is the easiest part of the whole installation, yet oddly enough it's the main reason they say the kit can't be used for FLHTCUI. Go figure. A word of caution on the QR kit...the directions SUCK! If you take your time, read through the directions and use common sense, you'll be fine. Not to sound like a nag, but don't rush it. You'll only frustrate yourself. This process takes longer the first time around, but it will pay off in the end. A couple last points to consider. If you plan on using the radio, you'll need to relocate your antennea. Same goes with the CB, although I never used mine so I didn't bother. Also, you will need a different license plate bracket. I used the laydown bracket myself. I hope you find this useful. Many people who have installed these kits know what's involved so if you need help, just ask.

Old 05-29-2006 | 09:53 PM
cutacroshorty
Road Master

I have the quick release setup on my '03.

Old 05-30-2006 | 07:18 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master

I have the 2 up detachable tour pak set up mounted on my bike with a king tour pak,I had the dealer install it over the winter when the bike was being stored.Was nice and tight fitting when i picked the bike up 1,250 miles ago,now it whobbles on the mounts and has become loose,I checked all the docking points,all the bolts and brackets are tight,and i have found the plastic
bushings(points) have wear marks/grooves in them already where the rack mounts to the docking points,sent it back to the dealer......... they have no idea why it is so loose already and suggested a couple wraps with elecrtical tape on the points to tighten them back up,or replace the points.I've even swapped out the cam locks on the rack to see if that would tighten it back up,still loose.
Maybe a defective rack,or maybe because i had to raise the tour pak up 1" to clear the police bags......... all I know is this,If i have to remove the whole set up to replace parts already,I'm going to remove the detachable set up and go with the bolt on set up and a new plate mount.I like the look of the tour pak on my bike,have no plans on changing seats out for different look.
anyone help me out with the part numbers for the bolt on set up?

Old 05-30-2006 | 10:35 AM
VROCK SE
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: spirit54

Im looking forward to some toureing .When I stop at motel I can detatch all 3 of my bags and have all my stuff safely with me.
It would be much easier to get the Bag liners, And Tour pak Liner. They are like luggage w/handles. You will get tired of packing that Tour pack and bags up and down steps,etc. Then the bike will look Wrong without them anyway! IMHO FWIW