Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 SG Klock Werks Windshield Opinion

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:13 PM
PHREDD71
|
Cruiser
Default 08 SG Klock Werks Windshield Opinion

Hello everyone.Long time reader, first time posting.

I figured I would throw my opinion into the discussion on the Klock Werks windshield since I have not seen too much discussion on the windshields for the SG.

I just got an 08 SG a couple weeks back and the first thing I noticed was the double vision and helmet bouncing around above 40 miles an hour due to the 4" wind deflector. So after looking through the forums and talking to the the dealer, I went ahead and got the Klock Werks 6.5" windshield in the light smoked ($169 + tax). Also got an 8" solid black windshield from Fastaire ($39). I am 6 ft and have a 31" inseam. I sit back in the stock seat and I slouch a little. I wear a Harley Half Helmet with no visor, or a 3/4 helmet with no shield or visor. Just trying to give as much information as possible because I know that when I was looking on advice and ideas on a new windshield, more was better.

Here are my thoughts on the two, with pictures:

The Klock Werks has a unique shape and did cut down on the buffeting some compared to the stock 4". Unfortunately for me, it did not reduce it to a level that I was hoping. The quality of the windshield is great and it installed in seconds. IMHO, if I was under 6', then this shield would work great or if it blocked 1 -2 more inches of wind. Talked to the dealer about it and he said that two other people that have put them on their SGs love them. So good product, but doesn't work for me.

The Fastaire shield is a great product for the price. Called in Monday, had it today, Wednesday (thats NV to OH). It is a flat piece of plexiglass, but the edges look fine and it was easy to install. Wasn't expecting much for the inexpensive price, but got more than expected. As for performance, it seemed to reduce the buffeting to the level that I was expecting. In addition, the stereo did seem to be louder. So I think I will be keeping the Fastaire, and selling the Klock Werks. I also like the fact that the Fastaire is solid black. Makes a nice statement on the bike. Just have to figure out what to put on the inside, maybe some pinstriping or a nice Harley decal.

So that is my $0.02. Sorry for the long post, but I felt compelled enough now knowing what I do with a direct comparison to add more fuel to the windshield debate.

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:22 PM
Hoppy71
Intermediate
Default RE: 08 SG Klock Werks Windshield Opinion

Nice and thx for the info! I went with the 8" clear and thinking of something else. Like the blacked out look!

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:28 PM
bigdoghd
Road Master

Thanks for the post, I've put a couple on for RG and I like them. A few of my customers that have Baggers and Street glides wanted them, now that I have seen the pictures, I think I've changed my mind. I personal don't like the look.

Old 05-07-2008 | 08:18 PM
DKSS07
Road Captain

Thanks for sharing the information! Welcome to the forum!

Ride safe.

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:15 PM
crackercap
Road Master

Maybe a larger 8" klockwerk would have solved your problem with the buffeting if they make that size, I like your 8" fastaire in the black, did you like the Klockwerk?

Old 05-07-2008 | 09:25 PM
capnlovr
Cruiser

thanks for the info. I have the same problem with my SG. I almost pulled the trigger on the Klock Works. But now that I see the pictures of it I'm not going to, I'm not a big fan on how it looks. Thanks again, you just saved me some money!!!

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:09 PM
PHREDD71
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: crackercap

Maybe a larger 8" klockwerk would have solved your problem with the buffeting if they make that size, I like your 8" fastaire in the black, did you like the Klockwerk?
They do not make a 8" Klock Werks (to my knowledge) that fit a Street Glide. This is evident in the label on the box. The 8" and 12" are for the Road Glides:

The Klock Werks is a nice windshield, but it did not reduce the wind enough for me on my Street Glide. As I said in my original post, if you are under 6' tall, then this might be a good alternative for you.

[IMG]local://upfiles/60631/B04E056FB72A40B58AE667F751993D1C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2008 | 10:18 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member

PHRED71, I just bought a chrome 8" windshieldfrom a guy in California off of eBay. although I liked it from the front of the bike, the inside was light grey and it really stood out and looked bad from the drivers seat, especially if the sun was on it. I was going to recover it with black vinyl, but found some vinyl in the automotive section at Canadain tire with simulated carbon fibre pattern on it. I stuck that on and trimmed off the excess with a razor blade and I think it looks good. friends have said they like it also. You might want to check it out.

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:28 AM
PHREDD71
|
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Wally

PHRED71, I just bought a chrome 8" windshieldfrom a guy in California off of eBay. although I liked it from the front of the bike, the inside was light grey and it really stood out and looked bad from the drivers seat, especially if the sun was on it. I was going to recover it with black vinyl, but found some vinyl in the automotive section at Canadain tire with simulated carbon fibre pattern on it. I stuck that on and trimmed off the excess with a razor blade and I think it looks good. friends have said they like it also. You might want to check it out.
Wally, I saw those shields and asked the seller about the gray color on the back. He said that he could change it to black for $10. Not a bad deal, but your method sounds pretty good as well.

The Fastaire windshield is black all the way through. I just thought with that much blank real estate on the bike, some kind of art work or something would be nice. The windshield is opaque, so it is not like I would be hindering visibility anymore.

Old 05-08-2008 | 06:56 AM
Lu
Road Warrior

I use a recurve WS as well. Still got buffetting until I installed the fork air baffle. Now, I can wear the snap on visor on my helmet.
[align=left] [/align]

Quick Reply: 08 SG Klock Werks Windshield Opinion