Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ride-Str8 vs TWR

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 10:50 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Ride-Str8 vs TWR

I have been following all posts involving "bagger wobble", ever since I experienced it first hand with my SG.

I became intrigued with the "TWR-Missing link" when I noticed how many members on this forum were purchasing this product for the reduced price that was offered to our members.
The first thing that came to mind was that it bears a strong resemblence to the"Ride-Str8" stabilizer thatwas high on my list of modifications to purchase buthave beenhesitant to pull the trigger due to price.

Along comes the "TWR" at a more reasonablenumber, so,asmany others many others have done, I was ready to buy but the sceptic in me said to do a little research.
I called Dan at Ride-Str8 to get some info on his product, he sent me an email with some structural info that has influenced my decision.
I am going to share this email with the members because I think it may be helpful and insightful
information.
Keep in mind I have no affiliation to either company and in no way am I trying to start a feud between the two. I'm simply trying to share my research with our forum members.

EMAIL FROM RIDE-STR8:
Just be aware imitations from companies in Canada that copied my designs. Thereare some major material and manufacturing differences between myproducts and the low quality imitations.
Even though it may look the same they are not. TWR andCDC are in violation of my design rights, and have no regards in jeopardizing peoples safety by producing low quality imitations.[/align][/align]TWRframe bracket is made of aluminum. Therefore the linkage holding screw is threaded into aluminum without thread insert.[/align]Ride Str8 Frame bracket is made of cold rolled 1018 steel.[/align]Ride Str8 linkage bolt isthreaded to the transmission bracketand is then secured with a jam nut. TWR is not.[/align][/align]I have a very specific design for bikes years 1994 to 1997 and a different design for 1998 to 2001.[/align]The main reasonfor making all of these extra parts was to maintain the direct loading condition to the frame bracket while keeping it as close to the frame joint as it was possible to assure maximum restriction with minimum deflection.[/align][/align]TWR one design fits all. [/align][font=arial][size=2][/align]
This frame bracket is even more critical for the 2002 and newer models.[/align]You see, TWR aluminum frame bracket was designed to fit the same fiscal space then the original Harley bracket.[/align]The problem is that aluminum is only 30 000psi strong versus the 60 000psistrong steel originalbracket. If they compensate in thickness to make up for the material strength then the aluminum part can not fit its location. If it fits in the same space, and is madeout of aluminum, It is NOT asstrong as the original STEEL part.[/align]Strength in this bracket is very critical because all of your weight and the bike weight and the bending and shear loads generated by riding conditions are transferred thru this bracket.[/align]That is way Ride Str8 frame bracket is made from a $55.00 USA made original Harley Davidson bracket. [/align]If you purchase TWR make sure they have insurance. You'll need it.[/align][font=arial][size=2]
[font=arial][size=2]Please do your homework an

Old 05-07-2008, 11:04 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ride-Str8 vs TWR

thanks for sharing, I am looking at these devices myself.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:23 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am very satisfied with me RideStr8.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:08 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, this is gonna open up a can of worms. But for what its worth, I had three reasons for not participating in the group buy:

1. I already have a true-track (was considering changing because I want a center stand and the true-trak prevents that)

2. Made of aluminum (the very concerns expressed above) This thing DOES support the *** end of your bike guys. Two advantages of the true-trak IMHO are:

a. Your not replacing a structural component of your bike with an aftermarket part. (but at least in the case of the ride str8t, its actually a modified stock part, with simply the attachment for the link added to it...the swingarm load bearing part is same as stock )

b. easier/faster to install.

3. In addition to the copying of the Ride str8t design, (correct me if Im wrong, but does he not have a patent on it?) the listings for at least one of the Ride str8t knockoffs I believe I've seen on e-bay and other places, appear to have the descriptions, wording, etc, copied word for word from the Ride str8t website. While I can understand that there are only so many ways to design these things, I did feel that the verbatim copying of the text from the Ride str8t was pretty shameless. I try to the support people who put the initial work and/or r&d expense in to designing and marketing this type of thing, rather than those who come along afterwards to copy the design and undercut the price of the original company, who put the REAL work into developing the product. Ripping off the original Ride str8t website verbiage almost word for word was the final slap in the face to the inventor for me to chose not to purchase one of the imitations.

Let the flaming begin.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:45 PM
SFarace20
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the Ride Str8 and love it. I did similar research and came to the my conclusion to purchase the Ride Str8.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a fair amount of research and installed my ridestr8 over 15k miles ago. Very happy with it.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:57 PM
tcfamy
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not to rain on anyones marketing, but should I be afraid to drivea new Vette Z06 with cast/machined aluminum front suspension? Seems it's holding together pretty good. I have heard for a lot of years that aluminum is not as strong as steel. But it's all in the engineering. So tell me what's stronger - A welded tab or a machined billet? My vote is they are competitive but both stronger than we can break.

Tom

Old 05-07-2008, 01:01 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

ORIGINAL: tcfamy

Not to rain on anyones marketing, but should I be afraid to drive a new Vette Z06 with cast/machined aluminum front suspension? Seems it's holding together pretty good. I have heard for a lot of years that aluminum is not as strong as steel. But it's all in the engineering. So tell me what's stronger - A welded tab or a machined billet? My vote is they are competitive but both stronger than we can break.

Tom
Not to disagree with you, but all my life Ive always understood that a weld done properly, is at least as stong, if not stronger, than the orginal material. But even if thats not the case, or even if a bad weld got out, it would be attachment point of the stablization link that would fail, not the part holding up your swingarm. So you might loose the stabilization factor (returning the bike to stock specs) but not the structure supporting your swingarm/tranny/butt.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:14 PM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DISCLAIMER:

I am a Professional Engineer (P.E.) and I am not affiliated with TWR.

Now then;

The 6061-T6 aluminum TWR claims it useshas a tensile strength of 42,000 to 45,000psi not 30,000 psi ascited by the engineer above.

Old 05-07-2008, 01:15 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I use my bike lift everyday (need the room),it looks likethe stabilizer will interfere with the lift since the lift uses the crossmember that the stabilizer is mounted on. Any thoughs on this?

Quick Reply: Ride-Str8 vs TWR