Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bugs on pipes

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008 | 04:43 PM
Big Tom
|
Advanced
Default RE: Bugs on pipes

I tried the bug remover, no dice. I guess I'll have to pick up some nev-r-dull and some chrome polish and give that a try thanks for the help guys.[sm=icon_cheers.gif]

Old 05-07-2008 | 05:59 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer

Flitz Metal Polish works great. I had a couple of tiny 1.76 oz tubes I've used on bike chrome, exhausts, and automobile chrome and aluminum for 5 or six years now. Just a small dab on a finger and rub it into an area until it starts to turn black and begins to dry, then wipe it off. I've taken off bugs, heel marks andheat yellowing or bluingon many occasions with little trouble.

No, I don't sell it but it does work darned good without scratching the pipes. I got mine at Checker auto, but they no longer have it locally so I went here: http://www.flitz.com/buffball1.html

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:04 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer

BTW, I used never dull on a set of Bassani slip-ons once and it dulled the H out of the chrome finish. I mean it just made the whole area look cloudy, milky, whatever; it made them look like crap! I have used never dull on brass and uncoated aluminum, but will never again use on chrome.[:@][:@][:@]

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:08 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member

i've used never dull on lots of chrome and never had an issue. maybe it was your pipes?

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:11 PM
08flhx
Novice

Honda spray cleaner and polish. Spray it on cold pipes, let it sit for about one minute and the bugs will wipe right off. It also works on painted and plastic surfaces. Really good stuff. I have been using it for years. It cost about six bucks for a can. A can usually lasts me a whole summer.

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:17 PM
Moonrunner
Tourer

Skratch, Yeah it could have been crappy chrome, but I had used the Flitz on them many times with never a scratch and they always looked good. I went to clean them up since I had taken them off the bike and was going to put them away for a while so I tried the neverdull to save my last bit of Flitz for tougher bluing, tar etc. It was a bad idea, hence the neverdull is in the trash and Flitz on order.

Old 05-07-2008 | 06:30 PM
SG 1
Road Warrior

I never had a big problem with bugs on pipes. I mean I get some now and then, just don't seem to be a big problem to clean. How bout just soap and water.

08flhx,
I just bought some Honda cleaner/polish. Seems like some good stuff. It could replace my Plexus, cheaper too.

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:44 PM
caspr2
Tourer

I usually take about a 3 or 400 mile ride, they bake right off. What doesn't bake off just belongs there.
I miss the old days before chrome covers when your exhaust pipe could tell you a story about where you had been and how you engine tune was, who you had on your bike and sometimes even what you had for dinner (slow cooked wrapped in alum. foil).
Guess thats why I'm putting black pipes on so I don't have to worry about them.

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:56 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: caspr2
I usually take about a 3 or 400 mile ride, they bake right off. What doesn't bake off just belongs there.
I miss the old days before chrome covers when your exhaust pipe could tell you a story about where you had been and how you engine tune was, who you had on your bike and sometimes even what you had for dinner (slow cooked wrapped in alum. foil).
Guess thats why I'm putting black pipes on so I don't have to worry about them.
+1 on missin' the old days. Cooked some sausage in tin foil on the shovel while we were out west, many years back. Next day, in hte rain, pulled up to a light and it smelled like a sausage bbq from the drippin's on the engine. Me and my buddy still laugh when we smell sausage cookin'.

Old 05-07-2008 | 07:59 PM
Xtreme
Tourer

blue magic chrome cleaner works real well, I try soap and water first.

Quick Reply: Bugs on pipes