Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks & Lower Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2006, 10:05 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Shocks & Lower Ultra

I'm riding two-up into Mexico in a few weeks down to San Miguel de Allende which means I'll be putting on about a couple of thousand miles on my Ultra Classic '05 on Mexican roads. Mexican roads are not exactly best quality and the speed bumps which serve to slow down traffic at every entrance to every little town can be a killer to any bike, especially to the kickstand springs. So I'm wondering if there is any shocks which would improve the ride for my SO other than the stock air shocks. I'm already switching out my saddle so that may help. Any suggestions on shocks or improving the ride? Of course, I've had more than a few bikes and the stock ride is already nice, just looking to see if it can get any better. Thanks!

Old 02-21-2006, 10:09 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts
Default RE: Shocks & Lower Ultra

There are some great shocks that people are talking about here on the forum. Just do a search using the word "shocks" and you will get a ton of info and I'm sure some others will chime in here soon with some good recommendations too. What do you mean by "lower" in your title?

Old 02-21-2006, 10:14 AM
rapz
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I'm thinking of getting the lowering kit for the front and rear shocks, but I just don't know how that alters the ride esp riding two-up which is the majority of my long rides. I do know that in Mexico and those speed bumps you want to be as high as possible. Last year a group of us went to Real de Catorce and one rider on his SE lost his kickstand and really hit hard on some of those speed bumps.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:20 AM
Boatman
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would not lower your Ultra. You can put SE fork oil in the front forks and most people swear by changing the rear air shocks to Progressive 440's. The Progressives come in different lengths but I would stick with the 13" length that you have now. The less travel, the worse it will ride, especially 2 up.

Old 02-21-2006, 10:21 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

Ricardo,

I love my lowered Roadglide but that's not what you want to do before a trip like you are talking about (especially considering the roads down there).

Think of it this way. The old Lincoln's had a smooth cushy ride but didn't handle for craps in tight curves so you didn't see many of them screaming through the curves. The Corvette and Mustang have a stiffer independent suspension that handles the curves like a slot car but the ride is not as cushy. I like screaming through the curves with a well handling bike over the little better ride of a stock setup on an Ultra. That's my choice. If I was still doing 2 up cross country riding I'd leave it stock or put a better shock on it like you were talking about.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:32 PM
CHEYENNE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Progressive 440's is the way to go as far as shocks! 12" will lower you 1" like the SG's are.

Old 02-21-2006, 03:53 PM
jeepster09
Grand HDF Member
Received 7,686 Likes on 1,252 Posts

The best bet would be Progressive 440's on the rear and Progressive front springs also. The stock hight would be best if you are willing to sacrafice "the look" of a lowered bike, especialy on the roads you are looking to ride. Twelve inchers might be ok if you watch your speed and load. Maybe a compromise with 12 and 1/2" might work if available.

http://www.motorcycleproshop.com/acc...ive/harley.asp

Old 02-21-2006, 05:04 PM
89FLHT
Stellar HDF Member
Received 148 Likes on 83 Posts

Riding 2 up fully loaded on Mexican roads and you want to lower the suspension? Not a good plan.

Progressive suspension springs in the front with a 5/8" longer spacer than the recommended spacer length and 20 weight or 30 weight will firm up the ride and give you the handeling and clearance needed.
Stock length Progreesive 440's bolted up will give you the travle and performance that ride will demand. Plus you'll eliminate the need to add air and gain some addred reliability by going with a stand alone system that can be adjusted for load simply by a spanner wrench and spring preload settings.

Bring an emergency belt and a flat repair kit. There will be lots of grit, stones, etc in that environment and it will be easy to waste a drive belt and get a flat. Don't want to be hangining out in Mexico with your girl and no way to get back home...