Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing a radio in a COP GLIDE

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 01:10 AM
Dogmann
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Installing a radio in a COP GLIDE

I have a CAR RADIO shop in my neighborhood & he told me that installing a stereo in a FLHTP is not that big of a deal! All you have to do is find a ground & a power , hook up the speakers & there ya have it! Now I will not be using the handlebar controls because then the wiring really does become a pain in the ***! My dealer would not even take on the job of installing a radio in my 2007 FLHTP! He said it involves WAY TOO much work! So Are they that easy? or Difficult?

Old 05-07-2008, 01:48 AM
hell yes
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Installing a radio in a COP GLIDE

I have a 2005 e glide cop bike,Super easy job to install a radio i received power from the cig lighter then ran a ground wire to the frame,speaker,s took 5 minutes each side to install,slid radio into radio holder made a retainer that keeps radio in place,bolted to back of radio,bought the sony and 2 5.speakers at wally world,150 .00 sony 55 watt,s,loud enugh at 70 mph..detachable face on the tuner..work,s fine for me .even came with a remote control..

Old 05-07-2008, 04:20 AM
BirchwhiteHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I installed my own stereo in my 04' cop glide,i put in a sony cdx-5710,hog tunes up front with my own home made wire harness for the speakers,it's neat and works good,I used the biketronics mount $50.00,made it simple as taking out the glove box and putting back in the stereo in it place,very easy and simple. On my tour pak,I added the hogtunes speakers again and hogtunes rear pods,for a wiring harness to the rear speakers,I found a 6 wire harness with the ends cut off in the fairing(police stuff im guessing) it's all tucked into the main harness back to the side cover and the other end also had the plug cut off and was zip tied next to the fuse panel,simple... already wired through the bike,used 4 wires to the tour pak for the speakers,and connected to stereo inside the fairing, made up my own 4wire with disconnect from the side cover- rear speaker pods,simple. try'd to get the dealer to make me up a short 4 wire harness with disconnect plug,they wanted no part of it,lol told me to use a trailer 4 wire harness, mine looks much better and looks stock(cant really see it tied into the tourpak wires,
I also installed my own zumo 550,one problem i had was getting sound from the zumo to the stereo,the sony 5710 has no front aux jack on the face,it only has the rear RCA connector on the back of the stereo,I simply removed the mic jack from the gauge blank,and installed a new weather proof marine 3.5m jack into the gauge blank,which had the RCA plugs on it to plug into the rear of the stereo,problem sloved and for cheap coin too $15.00 from crutchfields. If i can do all this with my own bike,anyone can,all it takes is a few hours and you have tunes for your ride,sure i would have liked to have the HD stereo and the hand controls for the stereo,but the budget doesnt support it,and now i run most of my music through the mp-3 on the zumo.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:27 AM
Dogmann
Cruiser

THANKS GUYS! The dealer really had me WORRIED!. How do these SONYs let you hook up the IPOD? So both of your radios are operated like a regular radio- NO HAND CONTROLS...CORRECT?

Old 05-07-2008, 10:42 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

To install a standard 5.25" speaker, you will need the HD speaker adapters that come standard on civilian EG's. These adapters go between the inner fairing and the speaker, but are not included with the police models. Don't have a PN, but you can buy it from your local dealer or Biketronics; IIRC, they cost about 15 bucks each--you'll need two--the same PN works on both the left and right side.

Good luck with your project.

P.S. My experience with my own bike at several Metro Atlanta dealershipshas been thatthe parts people and service people know very little about police bikes which makes owning the civilian and police Service Manuals very helpful--if you use those you will quickly realize that you know more than they do; much more.

This will become even more aparent when it comes to adding things like a sissy bar, tour pak, etc. since the HD Parts and Accessories book makes no mention at all about fitment for the police models, only civilain models.

Old 05-07-2008, 11:11 AM
Dogmann
Cruiser

Yeah - I have the stock front speakers off of a 07 Ultra, I just hope that the SONY does not blow them!