Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacement air filter for 08 ultra

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 06:45 AM
harleyduck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Replacement air filter for 08 ultra

I got kinda concerned when I saw a comment about the stock filter being real crap and part of it was breaking down and being sucked in. This site is really great for me on the ideas, but bad for me at the same time because the wifey won't go for a lot of this stuff. thanks for the help...

Old 05-06-2008, 07:47 AM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock SE filters that were absolute junk on the average day was the earlier ones with the blue rubber seals. The newer ones are black and most folks don't have trouble with them as long as they are only cleaned for re-use once and several folks put a light coat of silicon grease on the sealing rubber so it doesn't dry out. They are just washed out and get no oil treatment. I figured I could run the Harley one for a month or two untilI had a chance to ordera K&N replacement. You are going to spend near $50 on a new HD filter every second cleaning anyway and the K&N replacement PN# HD-0800 is less than $50. If properly cared for it'll last 100,000 miles. Clean and oil it once annually. If you're into Amsoil products, they make a replacement for it too. Don't knowwhat the part number is. It is not oil treated but is cleanable for I think they state 4 year use.
Never mind, the hd-0800 mounting holes do not align with the studs for 08s with larger 50mm intake throat. Would've known that had I thought about it for a moment or two. I'll bet the Ness replacement stage I filter for the 08 kit would fit just fine though. I know on previous years the ness and K&N filter elements are interchangeable because they mount exactly the same. HMMMM!

Old 05-06-2008, 05:07 PM
harleyduck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

regarding the Amsoil, I will definitely have to check with my dealer. I have a preferred customer discount with them and would save a buck or two. I do like their oil for the bike and look forward to putting it in when it gets to the 1000 mile point. thanks all for the help on this subject.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:36 AM
Moonrunner
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 4 Posts

Sorry, I am wrong! HD-0800 does not fit 2008 SE backplates. I should've known that, knowing that the studs are spaced wider for the 50mm throat. However, I believe all one would have to do is re-drill where the holes are in the filter and plug the old ones. I may try that this weekend.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:11 AM
sparky_mo
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On a related matter. I have an 07 RKC. I am running a Harley SE air filter and AC. I have a SERT with Samson slip ons. I have had it dynoed. My question is if I switch to K&N or other brand air filter will it have to be dynoed again?

Old 05-09-2008, 10:21 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on the Ness Big sucker, plus it opens up a ton of options for covers.

Old 05-09-2008, 09:44 PM
BRO
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: harleyduck

I was wanting to replace my stock air filter to something like a k&n, which is not out according to my parts guy. Can anyone recommend something from another manufacturer or should I just wait?
I just ordered for my 08 Ultra the Kuryakyn Hi Five Air cleaner (part # 9486) solving my two issues with the Harley air cleaner. (1) I do not want to use a paper filter and the Hi Five comes with a custom K&N filter that can be replaced if need be. (2) Thefootball cover does nothing for me, so it had to go. I will post my thoghts on theHi Five when Iget it and install it.