Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

serious wobble at 90+mph--what

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2008, 03:55 PM
jpdubbs
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: serious wobble at 90+mph--what

I had my 08 RG at 120 this past sunday. Stupid? You bet. Exhalirating? You Bet!
Wobble? Only after passing a semi at 110. This leads me to say wind turbulance.
However after reading all of these posts I will have to get my head out of my *** and check back with reality.
Judge if you must but if you do stay off those **** sites!

Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
310cowboy
Stage II

I am a believer in the truetrax. I had a 93 electra glide ultra classic that would wobble at 85 - 90 mph, so when I got my 02" with the 103ci screamin eagle I installed the truetrax and have never had any problems with wobble, and I have had it up to speeds over 120mph. my suggestion is to perform all the inspections that others have suggested and if it still has the wobble go for the truetrax

Old 05-07-2008, 06:52 PM
Moby
Cruiser

"I'm sorry, but I don't think our bikes were really built to do 90+ "

Why do our speedometers go up to 120 MPH?

Old 05-07-2008, 08:48 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

When I did my HQ build I wanted to see what it could do. I have had my bike at 120 with some throttle left, but since the speedo stoped at 120 I didn't push it any faster.

Old 05-07-2008, 08:54 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

NO that can't be it.... Has to be a logical explanation.... Maybe it smoothens out @ 100 or so?
ORIGINAL: russl179

May be you shouldn't go 95 mph....just a thought....

Old 05-07-2008, 11:16 PM
Kaiser Sose
Advanced

ORIGINAL: Manish_Hawg

There is a lot of BS on this post but I won't call anyone out. People are stating beliefs as facts.

At 95 mphhis bike should not wobble. Check the air pressure, your load distribution, and your bearings and ride on!

Hmmm, that's fact? Listen, there isn't a bike made that is invulnerable to wobbles. That's a fact.
It's simple physics. Friction on the road = vibration, and everything on the planet is affected by frequencies...which is what friction causes (like a sonic boom, or running your fingers around a crystal glass). A bike can become very unstable. If you're near your top end, there isn't much you can do, but let off...try displacing your body (lean forward, or back...changes the weight distribution, and how the bike reacts to the vibration).
If you still have some go...then giv'er...ride through the 'bad frequency'.
Even cages...most vehicles shimmy around 80-90, then smooth out.
You can go into a wobble at 40. It's all in the dynamics, road surface, bike, rider...etc.
And I'll tell ya this, it ain't a wobble that's gonna get ya...it'll be the 'speed' wobble.
But hey, if you don't believe me, I'm cool with it.
Enjoy

Old 05-08-2008, 01:00 AM
Bluerose

ORIGINAL: Lopoetve

ORIGINAL: MACK

Read your manual. HD states not to exceed 85 MPH. There is a reason for that and everyone should know it by now.Yes the bike is capable of sustained speeds over 85 or 90,but not safely.The batwing fairing,tire pressures ,tour-pak,lower fairings etc combine for example to make the ultra prone to high speed wobble based on wind shear over85. Your cruise control is inoperable over 85. Theres a reason for that too.
I have to call shens on that. Got a link or a scan?
I'm interested too. Hate to say it but I've seen you post this several times so I pulled out my manual and I have yet to find anything except for a Warning/recommendation that you do not exceed the speed limit.....[>:]

You get the same in your car manual. In fact, my Harley Manual states that you can use cruise between 30 and 85 MPH.....my car manual states you an use cruise control between 25 and 89 MPH. My car can exceed 89 MPH safely....but according to the warnings I am exceeding the speed limit so I should not be going that fast in the first place. I'm positive I can ride/drive safely below 25-30 mph...Things do happen though.

Personally, I don't often exceed 80 MPH but have on occasion. I'm not usually in that much of a hurry. I know a spot on a specific freeway where at 80 I wobble...it's a long downhill sweeper. I back off and I smooth out a lot but not totally. I have seen many bikes experience the same condition on this piece of road not just Harleys. I'm sure its the road more then the bike but slowing and riding at a speed safe for the road conditions is prudent.

I will say though that I go with the "slow down" train of thought. Most highways are not built as autobauns god knows road crews think torturing vehicles is a great past time. It's not about how well you ride but the conditons around you...not to mentionthe excessive amount of stupid riders/drivers.