Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Soundproofing detachable fairing

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 AM
Lord Albany
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Soundproofing detachable fairing

I've heard from a couple guys about applying soundproofing material to the inside of their detachable fairings. Doing so dramatically improves the sound coming from the speakers. Does anyone know of a good product to use for this purpose? Did you soundproof the entire fairing or just the area around the speakers?

Thanks.

Ciao

Old 05-05-2008, 10:06 PM
Superglide 04
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 05-05-2008, 10:18 PM
nastyHD
Road Captain
Default RE: Soundproofing detachable fairing

In our cars wewould putcotton pillow stuffing behind the subs (inside the speaker box) to make the bass sound deeper, not sure how much of a difference it would make behind the smaller speakers in a fairing.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:18 PM
Rhubarb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

dynamat is what I have used in cages... mostly stops rattles and stiffens thin metal/plastic.
like mentioned above, not sure it would do much in the fairing.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:19 PM
a911scanner
Cruiser

+1 on these buckets. While I think that a sound dampening product like Dynamat would help some, the "enclosuer" of the fairing will not ever be airtight, so even having the area dampened will not improve the low end that much.

These, on the other hand, will create the closest thing to a "box" behind the driver, which should enhance your bass more. On top of that, they are very inexpensive and flexible for mounting in the tight quarters of a fairing.

MM

Old 05-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts

ORIGINAL: a911scanner

+1 on these buckets. While I think that a sound dampening product like Dynamat would help some, the "enclosuer" of the fairing will not ever be airtight, so even having the area dampened will not improve the low end that much.

These, on the other hand, will create the closest thing to a "box" behind the driver, which should enhance your bass more. On top of that, they are very inexpensive and flexible for mounting in the tight quarters of a fairing.

MM
The only problem with those is that they are not "matched" to the speaker. If the air space is not correct for that speaker it will accent a specific frequency, but its better than nothing.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:37 AM
a911scanner
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Mountainkowboy

The only problem with those is that they are not "matched" to the speaker. If the air space is not correct for that speaker it will accent a specific frequency, but its better than nothing.
[sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif][sm=roll.gif]

I highly doubt that many here are terribly worried about, nor probably could get ahold of, numbers like the Vas or Qts of the speaker to measure proper enclosuer size. Those numbers are generally only given with woofers, and might be a bear to get.

Other than manufactuers, I've never heard of anyone doing this for a 5 1/4". If you wanted to get close you could always stuff some fiber fill inside of the foam bucket behind whatever driver you've installed.

Besides, if you're really concerned about sound quality in a fairing, then the bike is going to end up being a show/garage queen. The minute you go 65 mph down the road, sound quality is gone. Period.

MM

Old 05-07-2008, 02:43 PM
Hagar the Horrible
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't even think of it. My stereo sounds fine with 6 1/4" and seperate 1 1/2" tweeters.I had one with the 4 -5" and it sounded like a shower radio.

Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
artc
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I did the Dynamat on the inner fairing and the outer shell. Did it make a diffence, No. But it sounds solid when you tap on it. Also If you add a XM radio the Dynamat will block the antenna if you put it under the fairing.

Old 05-07-2008, 07:09 PM
Firecap501
Former Sponsor

Sent you a PM lord

Quick Reply: Soundproofing detachable fairing