Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Expected Life of a Typical Dunlop Rear Tire/Michelin

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Expected Life of a Typical Dunlop Rear Tire/Michelin

I'm right on target with you--I'm a little over 12K and the new D402 rear is sitting in the garage waiting to be mounted.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:04 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

your on your second rear tire and you want to know what to look for to replace it?
What did you do the first time?

Old 05-05-2008, 10:14 AM
MyFirstHD
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Amost 11,000 on the OEM rear. Ordered the new MU85 Michelin Commander.

Ran Elite 3's on my Shadow for years. It lasted longer because it was a Gold Wing tire with heavier compound. Maybe if it was a softer compound it wouldn't have broke loose in the curve.

Old 05-05-2008, 12:52 PM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've got a 2007 RKC. I get about 8,000 miles out of a stock Dunlop 402 rear. I'm usually riding two-up at highway speeds with a loaded TBag.

Old 05-05-2008, 06:05 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I have no idea how you guys are getting >10k on stock D402's. I ran two of them to 10k with barely any tread at all in the end, and have even taken steps to reduce rear tire wear. For one, I am not an aggressive rider, don't do much interstate travel, keep pressures at 40psi cold, and never use my rear brake unless necessary. This should assure good mileage, but I have not realized it on the D402's.

In response, I've gone to another option on my third rear tire: Dunlop Elite 3. It was originally designed for Gold Wings, whose owners were complaining about low tire mileage, and have been getting rave reviews for durability and performance, both in the wet and dry. I mounted an MU90-16 bias version 3k miles ago and can say that wear is definitely improved, showing little wear up to this point. I sense no difference in performance over the D402, although I did have a stressful moment last week when I hit a yellow lane divider strip in the rain. In a curve, the bike slipped, then grabbed, causing no damage or accident but a very tense 1-2 seconds as I wrestled the bike back into control after some fishtailing. I think this was not a tire issue, as I've squirmed before on paint strips, although not quite like this one. It was after the rain had just started, thus oil on the road was not fully washed off, in a curve, and under light acceleration. I was going slow, but I'll chalk that one up to me not observing due caution in a risky situation, not the tires for faulty traction. After 41 years of riding you'd think I'd know better.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:14 PM
Mac57
Road Warrior

Just changed my rear D402 at 13,000. I always keep 40 lbs in the rear for two-up riding. No complaints with Dunlop.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:28 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: iclick

I have no idea how you guys are getting >10k on stock D402's. I ran two of them to 10k with barely any tread at all in the end, and have even taken steps to reduce rear tire wear. For one, I am not an aggressive rider, don't do much interstate travel, keep pressures at 40psi cold, and never use my rear brake unless necessary. This should assure good mileage, but I have not realized it on the D402's.

In response, I've gone to another option on my third rear tire: Dunlop Elite 3. It was originally designed for Gold Wings, whose owners were complaining about low tire mileage, and have been getting rave reviews for durability and performance, both in the wet and dry. I mounted an MU90-16 bias version 3k miles ago and can say that wear is definitely improved, showing little wear up to this point. I sense no difference in performance over the D402, although I did have a stressful moment last week when I hit a yellow lane divider strip in the rain. In a curve, the bike slipped, then grabbed, causing no damage or accident but a very tense 1-2 seconds as I wrestled the bike back into control after some fishtailing. I think this was not a tire issue, as I've squirmed before on paint strips, although not quite like this one. It was after the rain had just started, thus oil on the road was not fully washed off, in a curve, and under light acceleration. I was going slow, but I'll chalk that one up to me not observing due caution in a risky situation, not the tires for faulty traction. After 41 years of riding you'd think I'd know better.
Hey iclick,

Glad to hear you kept her under control! I'll be looking for your post once you go thru that Elite 3. I almost got those instead of the Commanders.

Yeah, I dunno how lots of people are getting 12k+ out of the 402's either. Only think I can think of is a combination of conservative riding and very smooth surfaced roads (maybe cooler weather also?).

bulldogmoe7, that line running across the tread is the wear bar. When the tread is so worn down that that wear bar (slightly raised line) is even with the rest of the rubber on the tire...it is time for a new one.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:04 PM
dowork08
Tourer

10-12 thousand seem typical of what i have seen, also i have heard nothing but good about the lyndall pads. I am half temped to buy a set for my 08 rear since the pad on it do nothe but squeal and i have taken it in for the problem and the dealer puts its majic squeal be gone wash on it. Thats does not work. So i may be going also with a set of lyndells

Old 05-05-2008, 09:00 PM
bdaug50
Cruiser

My rear Dunlop made it 9950miles. That included periods of time where the actual vehicle speed to actual tire speed was not at a 1:1 ratio.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Mississippi Bagger
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: bdaug50

My rear Dunlop made it 9950miles. That included periods of time where the actual vehicle speed to actual tire speed was not at a 1:1 ratio.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Quick Reply: Expected Life of a Typical Dunlop Rear Tire/Michelin