Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Licence Plate Problem..

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 04:49 PM
Reverend
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Licence Plate Problem..

Here in the UK we have to suffer our huge registration plates sitting above the rear light, which looks jolly ugly IMO.. Seeing how the Stateside bikes have theirs under the tail light, I fancy a little messing around tomorrow, BUT..

I'm only talking about an 08 SG here;

Do the US plates have to be lit at night & if so, what lights them? UK rear light lenses have a clear panel in the top of the lens to show the white light up to the plate, so is there a light in the turn signal bar that performs this function?

How do your licence plates attach?

And to assist the harrassed parts deptgeezer at the dealers, any part numbers would be most welcome by a hopeful Reverend..

Thanks

Old 05-04-2008, 04:54 PM
acid_chipmunk
Tourer
Default RE: Licence Plate Problem..

Plates on both my Sporty and hubby's Ultra are above the rear light. There is a clear section on the top of the light to illuminate the license plate. I am not sure about other states, but in Pennsylvania, if your plate is not illuminated, you can get a ticket. It is an offense that you can be pulled over for with no other reason. Also, if your license plate light is out when you get your vehicle inspected, they can either fail it and make you fix it, and bring it back to be inspected again (you have to pay the fee both times), or sometimes they will fix it for you.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Your SG has a plain chrome tube that connects the two top frame struts; it's above the tail light. On an EG Classic, Ultra etc. that tube has two bosses for screws that are used to mount the license plate holder. You can replace your chrome tube with one from an EG or Road King, PN 53422-97. With that, you can buy a lay-back license plate mount--for example, HDPN 53385-00.

You can replace your tail light lens with one from and EG that has clear on top to illiminate the license plate; PN 68369-03.

I was in Provincewide HD in N. Ireland last summer and I agree, those are some butt ugly license plates you have in U.K.--large and taxi cab yellow--too big and bad color.

Old 05-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Reverend
Tourer

Thanks for the info, gents. I'd like to get my plate under the chrome turn signal bar, though. I guess the US turn signal bars have a white light under, which would be ideal for me & it's that number I'm really trying to get.

Are the MoCo part numbers available on-line anywhere?

Old 05-05-2008, 01:54 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think you might be interested in HD part#53702-04A. It puts the plate underneath the turn signal bar and uses a white light to light the plate. It also has an adjustable plate mount so you should be able to use your big plate. I just put one on my 07 RKC and it looks awesome! Not too difficult to self install either. Good luck with it.