Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sun Ray Heated Seat HELP

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 04:40 PM
mllkn6
|
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sun Ray Heated Seat HELP

Hi Guys,
Well, put on my Sun Ray Heated Seat and the little lady an I took of today for what was suppose to be a great day. About 70+ degrees when we started, had the seat turned off, for about 15 minutes it was great, then it started to get hot, hotter, and hotter, like you had turned the heat on. I tried t change settings to see if maybe it was on the wrong setting, no help. We could only ride about 15 minutes till we had to stop and allow time for our butts to cool off. We ended up only riding about an hour before coming home and I changed back to the stock seat, rode another hour with out one complaint about the stock seat burning our butts like we usually do. Now we know what a hot seat really is. Have anyone else experienced this with the Sun Ray seats? I thought they were suppose to be good seats. The oil temperature never got over 200 degrees all day, so it was not an exceptionally hot day for the motor either. Maybe there is something wrong with the heating switch an it stays on all the time, could that be the problem? The seat is used but only 3 years old and not hurt in anyway I can see, it does seem to not have as much padding as my stock seat in the drivers section, but it feels good till the heat gets to hot, maybe a winter seat, huh. Can anyone help me out here and tell me what's going on, anyone had this before? Is there a way to check it the heated switch is on all the time?

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:03 PM
BM83
Tourer
Default RE: Sun Ray Heated Seat HELP

I have the sunray premium seat but have had no problems. On mine you have to have the acc switch on and the seat switch on for it to work. I have read a couple of threads on here where people said their seat came with the plug wired wrong. May be a possibility.

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:42 PM
alame
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I put the heated seat on my 08 Ultra and thinks its the greatist, my wife caneither turn her side off or adjust it accordingly, it is quite hot even on low setting I notice

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:44 PM
rollover
Road Captain

Mine also has to have the access. switch on to function. I bought the lighted switch to go with it so I know exactly what level of heat I'm on. The highest setting definitely gets hot. Don't think I have had mine past the middle setting.

Old 05-05-2008 | 07:53 AM
mllkn6
|
Tourer

Can you give me the part numbers to the lighted switch thatgoes with it? I didn't get any instructions with it, maybe I have it on the on setting, don't know. How does the buttons work where is the off position, my friend who sold me the seat said he believed it's off when it's in the middle position with low being the up position and hi being the down position. I know it was hot in all positions yesterday. I guess once it gets hot on a hot day it would take a while to cool back down anyway. I appreciate all the help I can get, I like the feel of the seat just to hot, I have it hooked up through the accessory switch, but have all my side lights and LED's also working off it too. Maybe I need to use a separate switch for it. I have another switch that I have on the fairing that is a fake one right now as I use one to turn on and off my LED's and have another one that is not hooked up to anything just to balance out the look on the fairing switches.

Old 05-05-2008 | 11:46 AM
rollover
Road Captain

http://www.latus-harley-davidson.com...eated-Seat.htm

This will get you the part numbers you would need for the switch. Shop around as I think they are pretty cheap now. My SunRay automatically shuts off each time you turn the bike off even with the access. switch in the "on" position. The button on my seat is a push type where yours sounds like more of a lever type. Mine gets pushed in once to go into the highest setting, twice for the middle and three times for low. It may be the other way around with low being when the button is pushed in once. I don't recall but you get the idea. This is the reason I bought the lighted switch as it took all the guess work out of the button.

Old 05-07-2008 | 01:48 PM
mllkn6
|
Tourer

Thanks, rollover, I appreciate your help. I think my problem was with the accessory switch it is on all the time, where I thought one way was off then low and high. So this will help me out a lot. Thanks again.

Old 05-11-2008 | 01:04 AM
mllkn6
|
Tourer

I like to say thanks to everyone for your help, getting the new handlebar switches will really help. Now I know the seat was on the whole time I was riding no wonder it got hot and man was it hot. I'll pick up the new switches next week, for the time being I'll unplug the electrical connections, don't need them for at least 5 months anyway, so I have time to put them on when I decide to make my next changes to something. Again thanks for all your help, this forum is really a life saver sometime a money saver but most of the time a money pit as I keep seeing or reading about things I need or want, Good luck to all and be safe.