Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wifey took the course

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008, 02:00 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default wifey took the course

And she washed out of the riding part. She got 100 on the written test. So needless to say she's bummed out and hurting from dumping the bike. She was riding a Buell Blast which is a decent learner bike. She said her left hand was getting sore from all the clutch work. Also with her short feet and clunky Harley boots she had a hard time getting her foot to the right position on the shifter. Then she was turning the throttle the wrong way. When she realized what she was doing, she turned it the right way too much and the bike got away from her.

She can take the riding portion again at no charge. And she can work on strengthening her hand. The instructor suggested she think about private tutoring at $120 for two hours. I think it's a good idea, but right now she won't talk about it.If I mention it she hangs up on me (we don't live together at the current time).

My question, especially to the ladies, is how many fail the course the first time? I's not required here now but will be come July.

Old 05-04-2008, 02:33 PM
rocknrod
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: wifey took the course

Mine passed. Now she just needs to figure out what bike she wants[]

Old 05-04-2008, 03:46 PM
rjgraham
Tourer

That sucks, my wife had to convince me to take the class. She rides more than I do.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:40 PM
StreetGlide2006
Road Warrior

My misses failed the first time around on riding also. Just to nervous and made to many mistakes. Second time around she aced it. We have since enjoyed many miles riding together and she has not been on my bike since. I kinda miss her riding behind me but when I do I just look in my right mirror and smile because I know she is enjoying the ride more this way. If she really wants to ride she will make it happen. Just keep practicing and she will be fine.

Ride Safe,

Mike

Old 05-04-2008, 04:42 PM
munch34m
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My wife just failed the Alberta Safety council course. She's been riding a Sportster for the last 2 seasons in front of me so it's all legal as I hold a motorcycle license. The problem with the Alberta Course, crappy equipment. The bikes aren't road worthy, in need of tune ups and carb work. She failed basically to equipment malfunctions. The powers that be should really kee on top of these training places (especially provincially run one) to keep their gear in order.

Old 05-04-2008, 04:58 PM
StreetGlideMedic
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rickoshay, She needs to jump on back on in her own time. Pride being hurt is not a wonderful thing when it happens to you...especially when you're in front of a number of people. I guess My question is did they put the shorter seat on the blast for her? And she really doesn't need to wear clunky Harley boots...just over the ankle boots boots or sneakers are all that's required by Riders Edge or MSF courses. The tutoring isn't a bad idea either...but that will come in time. The weather is getting great for riding down in FL and I'm sure when she sees everyone out on their bikes she'll come around....but in her time. Did she make her error in the figure eight? It seems more people do the throttle and dump move in that box! The Buell Blast is a nimble but torque monster and will get away quick for a small bike! My kids live in Deltona and I'll be visiting at the end of May...if there's anyway I can help...just IM me! Mike (aka, StreetGlideMedic)

Old 05-04-2008, 04:59 PM
rickoshay45
Road Master

Thanks Streetglide. Not too much sympathy on here. She was nervous, didn't sleep well the night before and all that. I wish that we could get her some practice on a small bike, but that is not possible right now. Unless I can find a 250 beater somewhere. If I just had a way to rig my bike on something like a dyno, to teach her a little bit. Sadly that's not an option.

Old 05-04-2008, 05:10 PM
ctmedic
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rick

Most of the MSF riders courses offer the buell blast and the Honda rebel. Gives alittle option for street and cruiser types. Give her a few days and i,m sure she will be wanting to get right back on. My wife completed her course last year, and there were a few wash outs as well.

Good Luck

Frank

Old 05-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Maxcustody
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine paseed and rides a Fatboy, she has been riding for 2 years. She does real good, she used to ride dirt bikes growing up as a kid.

Old 05-05-2008, 07:52 AM
Dalton
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

My wife at the age of 50 decided she wanted to ride her own. She took the course and failed it the first and second time, finally passing, but really still not very sure of her skills. I bought her a Yamaha Virago 500 that fit her very well and she practiced for about two months in our neighborhood. One day she said she was ready to go for a ride, out on the streets. We got to the intersection to leave our development, traffic was somewhat heavy, and when she finally decided to pull out, she gave it too much throttle, couldn't make the turn and froze on the throttle, going through a yard across the street, hit a front porch and then glancing off the porch and broadsided a parked pickup truck at about 30mph. Dislocated her elbow and massive bruising everywhere. She was very lucky, could have been worse.

Point is, that she was really never comfortable and is one of those that probably should never ride her own. Better your wife fail the course and crash there than on the street.

My wifenow is perfectly content riding with me.

Quick Reply: wifey took the course