Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

wifey took the course

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 08:09 AM
Ultra007
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: wifey took the course

Mine was reluctant to even take the course as she was too nervous. And as with golf I found out, a husband is not a good instructor. She got her permit and we got her a Buell Blast. I tried to get her started but she got frustrated and wouldn't even get on the bike again.
The cure? Our best friends are riders and I had the wife come down and try to teach my wife. They went over to the local high school parking lot for about 2 hours without us guys around and by the time we showed up, she was cruising all around. We then went for a street ride and she was very comfortable.
She then took the course and passed with flying colors. And I traded that Buell for my Ultra, she now rides my old Heritage. She is an awesome rider now.
I would suggest finding a small bike and a lady friend that is a good rider to help her. You stay away and just let her get comfortable.
Women think differently than men and need a woman to help them.

U

Old 05-05-2008, 11:38 AM
MarkandMary
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife took the course last year and barley passed the riding portion. We must have rode through our neighborhood for 3-4 weeks before she would gon on the open road. I was ok with that, I would rathr have her comfortable that all nervous puppling out into traffic. Now she is a very good rider. I am proud of her. Give her wife a chance, she will get back on.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:50 AM
Tinkermc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

education is hard to beat she will at her own pace proceed

Old 05-05-2008, 11:57 AM
steelhead
Road Master

Mine took it and passed the first time. Of the 12 in her class though (5 ladies), one guy and one lady washed out.

Now she is just trying to get out every weekend and get some miles under her belt. It is great watching her confidence grow each week.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:17 PM
BlackBagger
Cruiser

Just one question.

Did she want to do this on her own, or was there pressure from you?

If it's her idea, back off and get her someone neutral to the whole thing to get her comfortable.

Mg

Old 05-05-2008, 08:34 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member

Wife took the Rider's Edge course last year and did pass, but she will be the first one to tell you, that #1 she had a heck of a time with the box and #2 which she says is the most important is that it doesn't make one road ready. Like someone said we rode a empty parking lot for a month, then our subdivision for another month. And I remember the first time her turning onto the road, thinking to myself, no praying, she wouldn't get hurt. She rode a sportster this past year. She has done real good, not saying, she didn't have a couple moments, but she has remained determined. Plus she has a good female riding mentor, that has helped tremendously. She put on over 3000 miles on the sporster. As of a couple weeks ago we got her the bike she wanted, a 2008 Heritage Classic, and she is in total HAWG heaven.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:49 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

My wife took the rides edge class about 2 months ago and 2 weeks after that she wreck about mile and a half frome the house . She was wearing a 3/4 helmet and still managed to break three bones in her face, broke off two bottom teeth, six stiches at the conner of her mouth, and will be getting skin graft for her upper gum.She is still wonting to give it a go. I can't hardly stand it, I know am being selfish but I would rather she stay with me. How did you guys get past it.

Old 05-05-2008, 08:56 PM
1Harleyrdr
Road Captain

OK dont feel bad, She will get it if she wants to.
My wife a few years ago wanted a bike, I said Ok What do you want? She said something cheap and runs well. I took a 400cc Yamaha and tuned it then Cut everything off of it she did not need. Then Raked it a few Degrees and Made a custom seat, Painted it royal Blue. Man I had a nice Bike When I was done. That was the problem I built me a bobber. She rode it 2 times and said I dont like it. So she was Happy again for a couple of years on the back. She again said I want a bike 2 years ago. I let her Pick it out this time, She got aninja 250, Rode it 2x and said It dont have enough power? It would do 100mph with me on board. She would stall it pulling out. She said sell it. OK. So now she again says I want a bike. This time she is getting a Dirt Bike. She is going to pick it out when we get back. We live on a dirt road in the middle of no-where. I am looking forward to having a new dirt bike soon

Point being, I made the Mistake the first time My fault, 2nd time Not sure? Third time I am hands off all the way, Let her do it and help only when asked.
Oh yea she wants a cross bones is the reason for the latestnotion to ride.

Old 05-06-2008, 04:03 AM
DaveMK
Road Master
Received 315 Likes on 142 Posts

Sounds like she is nowhere near ready for the road. Only she will know when she's ready to take the riding part over again. Hopefully she'll have patience and stick with it. It's better to make mistakes in an controlled environment rather than out on the road where mistakes could be more costly.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:05 AM
UltraDuke
Outstanding HDF Member

I would rather her fail on a confined course than fail on the street. all it takes is practice and self confidence.

Quick Reply: wifey took the course