Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

screw in oil temp/pressure gauge?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2008 | 01:25 PM
lecomte38
|
Tourer
Default screw in oil temp/pressure gauge?

I am looking for a little screw in combination oil temp/pressure gauge ( 2 indicator needles on oposite sides of the gauge ) for my RK. Anyone know of one?

Old 05-04-2008 | 02:38 PM
gs34doc
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Default RE: screw in oil temp/pressure gauge?

Don't think I've ever seen anything like that. Two totally different functions, requiring 2 totally different types of sensing.
[sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:08 PM
lecomte38
|
Tourer

Easy enough - they both need oil, a pin hole thru the brass temp sensor (fluid filled expansion) to a diaphram worksingthe pressure. Most home boilers use a combination unit for the water pressure and temp.

Old 05-04-2008 | 05:33 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: lecomte38

Easy enough - they both need oil, a pin hole thru the brass temp sensor (fluid filled expansion) to a diaphram worksingthe pressure. Most home boilers use a combination unit for the water pressure and temp.
If you plan on using a single sender for PSI and Temp combined unit where do you plan on installing it?

That application may work well in a home heating or industrial boiler or heat plant. However the TC-88 has not been specifically designed for a sender of this type to operate with usable readings.

That can be seen when folks take the H-D Oil Temp kit that has the sender in line with the return oil from the oil filter. Lots of folks are not happy with those readings and resort to putting the oil temp sending unit into the bottom of the pan.

If you were to put it into the frontof the engine where the normal oil PSI boss is foreither the oil PSI Switch(on some models with out PSI Gauge) or the oil PSI Sender (on other models with PSI Gauge) resides, thatIMO would not support enough oil volume toyield a good temp reading. Your temp reading from that spot would bemore of a lower block casing reading then of the oil!

If you were to put a combo Temp/PSIsender into the same location you may have some PSI but not what is going to the bearings and journals, and the Temps in this location are already suspect of being not very accurate and take for ever to get some indications on the gauge!

Where were you planning on using such a sender if in fact it exists?

Old 05-05-2008 | 03:23 PM
lecomte38
|
Tourer

I was going for the front of the engine where the oil switch is now. Oil temp anywhere in the circuit should be about the same but it is a mute point if there isn't a combi gauge available.

Old 03-25-2012 | 03:07 PM
blakeforslund
Intermediate

I know an old subject, but gosh it seems this would be a nice option.